Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Beef Brisket, Brick Roast, London Broil, French Roast.. HELP

mommyof2boys

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 2:44 pm
What is the differance? I dont have any cookbooks that explain.

Can some please give me short descriptions on them? I need something no-fail. First time making a Roast/Brisket.

I'm thinking to do the KP one with dried fruit, but I need to know which meat will be the softest. I'm so scared of drying it out and will have nothing to feed my guests! I'll do back up shnitzel, but still I'd love to serve a tasty soft meat too.

Thanks ladies!

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:04 pm
Any of those should come out soft if you cook them covered in liquid for the right amount of time. It's best to fully cool (refrigerate overnight) before slicing then to reheat in the pan juices.

I find the absolutely softest cut is beauty roast (chuck eye roast), but any of the cuts you've mentioned should work. Advantage of chuck eye roast is that it is significantly cheaper than many of the others.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:05 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Any of those should come out soft if you cook them covered in liquid for the right amount of time. It's best to fully cool (refrigerate overnight) before slicing then to reheat in the pan juices.

I find the absolutely softest cut is beauty roast (chuck eye roast), but any of the cuts you've mentioned should work. Advantage of chuck eye roast is that it is significantly cheaper than many of the others.
Really? I once made one in the oven and it was so tough. How do you make yours?
(Then again, I don't love roast made in the oven.)

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Pretty much the same as any of the other roasts mentioned. Cooked in liquid, tightly covered at 325-350 until almost done, then refrigerate, slice, return to defatted pan liquids and reheat in liquid. It gets almost falling-apart soft.

crl

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:14 pm
My "no-fail" trick for any type of roast (I really don't pay attention, it's whatever I can pick up from KRM -- usually chuck eye) is to cover it in olive oil and some spices (whatever you like, a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder), and then once it's rubbed in olive oil, mix a bit of BBQ sauce with any wine (usually white) I have in the fridge and pour over the meat, let marinate in the fridge overnight. You can add soy sauce, tomato sauce, brown sugar, or anything you like -- tomato sauce for more savory, brown sugar for more sweet.

Then, I cook it covered at 350 for 3-4 hours (sometimes more, like 3 hours thursday night and another 2-3 on Friday before Shabbos), until done. Sometimes I put it on a bed of onions and mushrooms. I've never ended up with tough meat since cooking it this way, and I've tried it on all kinds that I want to keep moist -- roast, lamb, even turkey breast. However, it usually doesn't slice well because I don't refrigerate and slice when cold, but I should do that.

I could be breaking some cardinal cooking rule, but so far, this has worked for me. I find that cooking it on the stovetop makes it lose flavor and get tougher when reheated.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 3:46 pm
I make plain brisket (approximately 6 lbs? whatever 3 kilo is) without anything fancy in the ingredients. First, I layer a huge baking pan that has sides (to keep the liquid in) with onions to cover the bottom then add what I feel like: a bay leaf, some salt, pepper, paprika - whatever strikes me. I lay the brisket flat over this and season the top of the meat. Then, I add water to just about 1/2-3/4 of the meat NOT to cover and tightly close with aluminum foil. I mean tight: no steam escaping kind of tight.
I place the pan in a 325F oven and let the meat slowly bake for a good 3.5-4 hours. I remove from the oven, cool and then put in the fridge overnight to fully chill. I remove from oven, skim the fat and slice the meat with a very good knife, against the grain so I get nice long slices.
Zehu. A very simple and unsophisticated way to always get delicious brisket with nothing fancy of extravagant in the sauce.
You can strain the liquid and add thickener (potato starch/flour) if you want gravy, and season it to taste. Can be served over rice.
You can also put potatoes/carrots in the pan with the meat so they all bake together. It never fails to be delish.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:06 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Pretty much the same as any of the other roasts mentioned. Cooked in liquid, tightly covered at 325-350 until almost done, then refrigerate, slice, return to defatted pan liquids and reheat in liquid. It gets almost falling-apart soft.
Thanks!
Does it actually need liquid, or is a thick sauce enough?
If so, how much water/broth/wine should I add to the bottom of the pan?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Thanks!

A thick sauce is fine (most of mine are cooked that way). It will become liquidy as the roast cooks. Just make sure it is covered tightly.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:24 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Thanks!

A thick sauce is fine (most of mine are cooked that way). It will become liquidy as the roast cooks. Just make sure it is covered tightly.
Thank you!
I actually made a roast in the oven erev yt because I was too tired to do it stove top. I had marinated the roast for a day (no real liquid), and then put it on a bed of onions. Wasn't sure about liquid, so I added 1/2 cup water on the bottle just to be safe. It came out good. Think I need water next time if I'm doing it this way without a sauce?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I actually made a roast in the oven erev yt because I was too tired to do it stove top. I had marinated the roast for a day (no real liquid), and then put it on a bed of onions. Wasn't sure about liquid, so I added 1/2 cup water on the bottle just to be safe. It came out good. Think I need water next time if I'm doing it this way without a sauce?

Not sure what you meant by "1/2 cup water on the bottle". Was there a thick sauce and you added water in addition or no sauce at all, just marinated the meat? If no sauce, I'd add some liquid (small amount is enough). If there's any kind of sauce at all, that's probably good enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics