Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
HELP! un-closed belly button???

mamaloosh

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 8:15 am
Anyone every hear of a belly button not closing completely? I don't mean the umbillical stump- my baby is 5 moths old, (her stump fell off when she was two weeks old) but every so often I have noticed she has a bit of dry crust in her belly button (sorry if I'm grossing you out) and then last night I was trying to clean it off and as I was moving her it suddenly looked like there was an opening and I could see right into her stomache! This is freaking me out!! HELP! I'm taking her to the DR but has anyone ever heard of this????????

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 8:44 am
My son had a little bit of something that was left after his stump fell off. I didn't pick at it, but when the pediatrician saw it she said it was part that didn't fall off and she "burned" it of with silver nitrite(?). Not a real burn. My baby didn't feel anything. It was just a chemical to make the little bit die and fall off.

I don't know if you saw the stomach or just the flesh under the "crusty" piece, which being inside the body is going to look nice and gorey. Some babies also have an umbilical hernia, usually seen from the outside bc the belly button looks like an intense "outtie". My ds also has this and it's progressively closing. It doesn't cause them pain, and it's supposed to generally close completely in a few years. Though, you probably just freaked out at seeing the inside and thought it was "stomach".

IYH it's no biggie and the dr. will clarify things ASAP!

Marion

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 2:17 pm
Sounds like an umbilical hernia to me. But I'm not a doctor.

Jo

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 3:07 am
It sounds like an umbilical hernia and/or granuloma, neither of which are anything to get too worried about!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 10:53 am
Wouldn't the pedi have noticed a granuloma much earlier than 5 months?

raizy

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 10:32 pm
sounds like a hernia to me. my son has one. and now he is 2 yrs old I am going to treat it. its only a 10 minete operation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics