Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Paid maternity leave?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 12:38 pm
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right forum for my question. I know I get 6 weeks of paid maternity leave and am getting mixed answers on whether I can get more than that. I know that I am entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid leave, but is there a way to get more than 6 weeks of paid leave? My employer's HR office doesn't know much about this (very small place) and said I should research myself. I live and work in New Jersey.

Thanks for suggestions.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 12:44 pm
Are you speaking of state-mandated disability? Ask your dr. when he fills out the forms for you.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 2:05 pm
NJ has paid FMLA.

If your company is small, you don't fall under FMLA.

persephonefalls

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 7:37 pm
In companies that qualify for FMLA, you get 6 weeks paid maternity leave with a vaginal delivery, and 8 weeks paid with a c-section. You also can take up to 12 weeks total unpaid. Some companies offer other options (my company gives an additional 2 weeks paid parental leave to the mother or father of a new baby.) Depending on your company's policies, you can apply vacation, personal days, etc, to the paid leave.

oatmealcookies

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 7:42 pm
Nj temp disability pays 2/3 of your pay

sky

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 9:34 pm
Quote:
Nj temp disability pays 2/3 of your pay

but its up to a roof. I think it caps at something like 500 per weak. Do you have short term disability through your employer? That may make up the rest of the 2/3 if applicable.

The 2/3 is for 4 weeks before the due date and 6 weeks after a vaginal or 8 weeks after a c-section.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/lab......html

NJ also has Family leave insurance for bonding time with a new baby. This allows for additional 6 weeks of 2/3 of your salary and time off of work. That time can be taken anytime in the 12 months after the baby is born.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/lab......html

To be covered by FMLA you company must have at least 50 employees for 20 weeks or be a school.

Your company can force you to take all your accrued vacation time during your maternity leave and pay you your salary instead of your NJ short term disability. The short term disability would kick in at the point your vacation days end, but it doesn't extend longer then it would have without.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics