Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
They won't leave me alone! LOL

wispalover

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 11:36 am
I guess something about me calls out for salvation because different missionaries come a-calling daily. Today they handed me a book from the 'Board of Education' regarding school children. I looked at it before accepting and started seeing the words 'Genesis', 'J3sus' etc and explained, as usual, I am Jewish. They told me it is just a basic book and I can continue reading it whenever I want. I told them again I am Jewish and they kept trying to give me the book- finally I had to get quite forceful and tell them if they didn't leave I would have to call my Rabbi to come and deal with them- they moved away pretty fast after that Wink
I guess they get marks for resourcefulness in any event.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 11:39 am
wispalover wrote:
I guess something about me calls out for salvation because different missionaries come a-calling daily. Today they handed me a book from the 'Board of Education' regarding school children. I looked at it before accepting and started seeing the words 'Genesis', 'J3sus' etc and explained, as usual, I am Jewish. They told me it is just a basic book and I can continue reading it whenever I want. I told them again I am Jewish and they kept trying to give me the book- finally I had to get quite forceful and tell them if they didn't leave I would have to call my Rabbi to come and deal with them- they moved away pretty fast after that Wink

For future you should take it and throw it out. One less book for them to give to someone unsuspecting.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 11:41 am
wispalover wrote:

the proper response is to ask for a stackful to give your friends and then throw it in the garbage where they can see you Smile

I've actually threatened missionaries that I will have them charged with trespassing if they don't get off my steps. (access to my door is through a driveway, I wouldn't have used this if my door faced the sidewalk.)

I generally just politely tell them I'm not interested, but if they're pushy I push back.

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 11:45 am
I disagree I wouldn't take it Cuz I wouldn't want to own it for even a minute by taking it you are taking ownership of it.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 12:27 pm
happy2B, I would react as you do. However, I saw a video clip of the late Lubav Rebbe accepting a missionary leaflet and dropping it in the trash in full view of the missionary, so maybe that's in fact the better thing to do.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 12:32 pm
Some time ago a missionary left in front of every apt. in my mosly-Jewish complex a CD that looked like a "support Israel" thing but upon closer reading proved to be a Christian missionary thing. Despite my belief in individual property rights, I went door to door gathering up these packages and dumped them all in the trash. Some of my neighbors are of the "tinok shenishbah" class, and this sort of thing would be dangerously misleading. I'm so glad the missionary just left them in front of people's doors and didn't mail them. Stealing someone's mail is a federal offense.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics