Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do your KIDS call your coworkers?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 2:56 pm
I work in a Shomer Shabbos office.

The big bosses, in ther 60’s and 70’s, are called Mr. Somebody. Fine.

When I was hired, I was told by each indiv person that I could call them by their first name (I am after all a mature age myself). These are men in their later 40’s and in their 50’s.

The support staff is young girls, in their 20’s. For them, I don’t think it matters…..

So – when my kids visit (older teens); I introduced them as I call them. Does that mean that the kid can call them by their first name?

B/c one of the men barked, after I’m on the job 7 years, that he wants to be Mr. So and So to the kids.

I think it’s weird……..

red sea

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 3:01 pm
Some people dont even know their coworkers last names. Whatever, if someone requests it just go with the flow

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 3:45 pm
I call my mom's older coworkers "Monsieur"/"Madame" (mr/mrs), and the younger or those who request it, by their first name. I call the boss "Mr Surname".

queen

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 3:48 pm
SaraG wrote:
B/c one of the men barked, after I’m on the job 7 years, that he wants to be Mr. So and So to the kids.

I think it’s weird……..

I'm from the old school where kids call adults Rabbi/Mr/Mrs.... and would introduce my kids to co-workers as "mr. yapushplosh" etc.

With very close friends you can always call them "Tante (Auntie) Shprintza" this way not feeling as if you're too formal, yet still teaching your kids respect towards adults.

happy2beme

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 9:06 am
I agree with queen

cl

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 5:27 pm
as a kid I hated that we had to call non-family adults auntie, it felt soo weird, especially as most of the girls in my class just called other adults Mrs So n So or by their first name. I dont want to force my child to do that either, unless of course it is family.

melalyse

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 9:09 pm
I grew up calling all of my parents friend by their first names but my husbanc didn't. Also all of my friends don't want their kids to call their friend by their first names. I do not want to be called Mrs. so and so or Rebitzen this or that. It makes me feel like my grandmother. So I have asked all of my friends to have them call me Aunt M... And I do the same with my son. If it was up to me I would do first names. (last names are a recent phenomenon - It used to be ploni ben ploni).

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 1:55 am
MY parents own their own company. I call their co-workers and employees by their first names. Most of them have known me since I was a very little girl and would be hurt if I did otherwise.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 1:56 am
WOOHOO!! That was my 700th post!! Very Happy

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 2:07 am
my children (ages 16-3) are uncomfortable calling adults by their first names, even if invited to. When someone tells me its ok with them if my children use first names, I tell them, no its not ok with me.

When a close friend's daughter, married with 2 children called me Mrs. I invited her to call me by my first name. She said she was more comfortable with Mrs. So now I call her Mrs. too!

I think children to adults and men to women (v/v) should always use Rabbi/Mrs.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 8:22 am
My Kids say Mr. xyz or Rabbi

Unless they are corrected.. Also your xyz's Mommy..LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics