Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is it more economical?
1  2  Next

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:00 am
to go food shopping once a week or on a daily basis?
I know everyone says its better to go once a week but what about the fact that you can try to menu plan in advance but it might not work out exactly. whereas if you buy everyday ONLY exactly what u need for that nights supper you wouldnt ever buy anything extra'?

lst

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:19 am
I dont have a car and on my yishuv there is only a small makolet, so I very rarely do a once a week shopping trip. I think it is more economical this way. I only buy what I need, but I do stock up on flour, sugar, etc.
The times where I am able to go to a grocery store I do get a lot of non perishable items as it is cheaper than the mokelet. But it is hard to plan menus for a week and theres usually something u're gonna have to run out and buy during the week anyway. I have definitely found it more economical to make a few smaller trips (if u have the time). But once in awhile, to get some basic things, I do a big shopping trip.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:30 am
I do the big shopping once a week, and I live on the block of the biggest grocery store in gtown!

I still end up filling in some things on Friday or Sunday, though......I need challos and chicken for Shabbos, and I often want fresh bagels on Sunday, so that's what works for us.

I think you are more referrig to the temptation of buying nosh if you shop more often, right?

ceo

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:09 am
I think that for most people, the less often you go to the store, the better, as you resist impulse purchases. However, there is no hard and fast rule for this, why don't you see what works for you? If you find that buying everyday for that day, and that day only works, then stick to it.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:44 am
Go once a week with a MENU PLAN and a SHOPPING LIST and DO NOT buy anything that's not on the list.

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 8:57 am
I just bought this book. I haven't used it yet, but it is supposed to keep you on track to buy only what you need for the week -

The Rush Hour Cook's Weekly Wonders

http://www.championpress.com/c.....s.htm

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 11:09 am
Crayon, not necessarily....you should see what's on sale before you make up your mind as to what's for dinner.

Reminds me of the times I'd see sales on jumpers or skirts that I'd get ahead, for when my daughter was growing...by the time I found a top to match, it very often cost double or triple what I wanted to spend!

Crayon210

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 11:23 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Crayon, not necessarily....you should see what's on sale before you make up your mind as to what's for dinner.

Aren't the sales weekly, not daily?

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 11:33 am
I own a small yishuv mecolet. People generally go once a month to buy all nonperishables, esp if they don't have a car. Diapers, formula, TP and other paper goods. Cereals, pastas, cans. Toiletries. And meat if people buy it out. You know how much you use in a month. It is also possible to make what you have instead of deciding that you want x that you don't have instead of y which you have in the fridge or closet. A lot of veg is both the healthiest and cheapest way to eat.

On a daily and weekly basis people buy milchicks, bread, eggs and veg.

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 2:34 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Go once a week with a MENU PLAN and a SHOPPING LIST and DO NOT buy anything that's not on the list.

this idea is what I was talking about. yes technically this would be great, but don't you find that its impossible to be precise and that you end up throwing out food that you didn't have time to use? example, I menu plan and decide on thursday we will use that bag of salad but then when thursday rolls around, I have leftovers from wednesday so the salad doesn't get used and gets spoiled before I have a chance to use it.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 5:56 pm
Shimmysmom wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

this idea is what I was talking about. yes technically this would be great, but don't you find that its impossible to be precise and that you end up throwing out food that you didn't have time to use? example, I menu plan and decide on thursday we will use that bag of salad but then when thursday rolls around, I have leftovers from wednesday so the salad doesn't get used and gets spoiled before I have a chance to use it.

If you plan carefully, this shouldn't happen much (if ever).

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 6:41 pm
Crayon, I don't know about the sales...prob depends on the store.

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 6:47 pm
so crayon, whats your secret? how do you always know how much of everything to cook?

withhumor

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:11 pm
I was always chasing myself when I shopped locally. Ever since I started shopping once a week, it has been a blessing in disguise. I now know how much to set aside for the weekly order and also how much to set aside for the last minute ‘around the corner’ purchases that always come up (when I run out of salt or the milk is not fresh). If you can be disciplined, your order total can be a very exact amount each week.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:23 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Crayon, I don't know about the sales...prob depends on the store.

I have never heard of a daily sale.

Also, my mental health is worth more than that.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:24 pm
Shimmysmom wrote:
so crayon, whats your secret? how do you always know how much of everything to cook?

I don't know...I plan a meal, I guess I know how much we eat in my house. Of course we have leftovers, that can be a quick meal for someone on the run or for a snack or something...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 7:51 am
Crayon, for example, sometimes fruits or veggies are only on sale or a cheaper price until they run out.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:52 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Crayon, for example, sometimes fruits or veggies are only on sale or a cheaper price until they run out.

Never heard of such a thing.

And like I said, my mental health is worth significantly more than a banana and an orange.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 11:27 am
If you do your own shopping, you will often see cases of things short dated on sale….sqishey (older) produce for cheaper….etc.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 11:52 am
Never heard of such a thing, not in the stores that I shop in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics