Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Epilator recommendations?

observer

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 9:11 pm
I've seen that many posters recommend epilating and now I'm considering that.

Can you tell me please:

1. What the benefits of epilating are
2. what the disadvantages are
3. Which epilator do you recommend. What about the Braun? http://www.amazon.com/Braun-SE.....r=8-2

Thank You.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 9:53 pm
I have a Revlon. Aren't they all about the same ?

observer

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 9:03 pm
thank you. anyone else?

songbird

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 12:06 am
BUMP.

drez

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 4:00 am
I have been epilating now since Pesach and am totally unimpressed. I have a Braun (don't remember which one) and it really takes a long time. I do not mind the pain at all but I really don't have that much time. Plus I always find that I miss a spot. And my hair grows back faster than I thought it would.

A friend told me to stick it out for a year and I will see the difference...

But I really do not recommend it.

observer

Post Thu, Jan 20 2011, 10:45 pm
ty. anyone else?

spring13

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:03 pm
I find that my hair grows more slowly, and is thinner/lighter than when I was shaving. but it does take a longish time to do a very thorough job.

get one with lots of tweezers/discs, it will get more hairs more quickly.

observer

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 9:43 pm
how long does it take? How long does it last?

bluebird

Post Thu, Jan 27 2011, 10:00 pm
It takes around 20 minutes for me to do my legs and underarms. The results last about 3 weeks for me.

I'm not concerned with having super-smooth hairless legs, which is good as that's not the result I get. The fine, blond hairs tend to be left behind. But I'm satisfied with the results. It's great on my underarms—they're totally smooth and no stubble! When the hair grows back it grows back tapered so it's not stubbly and uncomfortable.

I don't mind taking 20-30 minutes to use the epilator since that means I won't be taking time in the shower to shave.

drez

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 2:23 pm
I also found that I got tuns of ingrowns... Did anyone else find that? What can I do to stop it?

bluebird

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 7:54 pm
drez wrote:
I also found that I got tuns of ingrowns... Did anyone else find that? What can I do to stop it?

Exfoliating routinely can help prevent that. I use a loofah every other day or so.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:35 am
Bump. Any others out there who use an epilator? If it takes 20 minutes but then you dont need to shave for 3 weeks it's totally worth it! But how bad is the pain? Is it comparable to waxing/teezing your eyebrows? I HATE shaving and I find that after 2-3 days the hair already starts to grow back and is pretty visible (I have dark hair).

thedudette

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 10:46 am
I got this one a few years ago and it's AMAZING! the Braun 5270 X'elle Body System Epilator

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....0_i00

but they don't sell this one anymore. it only hurts the first and second time (do NOT shave in between - it will make your hair thick and then it will hurt again) but it is really good and love that I only have to do it once a month - also less and less hair grows back each time so now it really takes me around 5-10 min.

This one looks like the best one out there now:
Braun 5180 Silk-Epil X'elle Easy Start Epilator

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Si.....=8-14

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 11:08 am
I have something like this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/1976.....h=sem
Im not sure exactly I bought it a few years ago in uK.

Its great because it hurts a bit the first few times (more like a stinging/poking sensation) but then it stops. Since each time the hair grows thinner and lighter, it starts taking quicker and you can go from epilating every 3 weeks to every 6 (YES!).

spring13

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 12:15 pm
drez wrote:

I got more than I used to with shaving too. I've gotten good at getting rid of them. And really exfoliating after you use the device helps. Use a real loofah, not just a regular shower puff. And follow that with moisturizer.

chippy

Post Fri, Jun 08 2012, 4:45 pm
I have a Braun epilator with a light. It's pretty good. It takes me a really long time (like an hour for both legs) but I like to be thorough. I do it about every 4 weeks and have been for a few years. Waxing was definitely better for me but this way is just cheaper. I do get ingrown hair more frequently now but I have a friend who also uses an epilator who says she doesn't any.
The instructions say that doing it right after the shower when the skin is subtle can be easier- but I find the drier the skin, the better. This has cut down on the time it takes to epilate a bit and definitely has decreased the amount of ingrown hairs!

observer

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 1:41 pm
I had bought an epilator and used it a few times. It takes a very long time and does last longer, like a few weeks, but it did not make my skin as smooth. It never felt as smooth as right after shaving for example.

:) :)

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 5:42 am
Braun Silk-epil 7 is great!!
Now even when my hair grows back its much lighter, thinner and less noticeable.
I do find though that I often have to epilate twice over till all the hairs are completely gone.

evie

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 5:30 am
I know this is an old topic but I just received my emoji today and I looove it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics