Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Blame Shoved Down Chris Christie's Throat
1  2  Next

theyaffabunny

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 7:11 pm
Wow, this is extremely offensive, in my opinion. Apparently Republicans are blaming Governor Chris Christie for Obama's win due to his bipartisanship during Hurricane Sandy. I don't think this is fair, considering that Chris Christie was doing what he felt was best for his state as governor. I'm not normally a fan of Chris Christie but I appreciate that he was able to work with Obama for post-hurricane relief.

Be warned, there's tons of fat-shaming and bickering in the comments section. And plenty of fat-shaming in the excerpt in this link:

http://nation.foxnews.com/gov-.....hroat

"The list of fools who have brought this disaster upon us certainly also will include New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, the gelatinous clown who (a) hogged up a prime time spot at the Republican convention to sing his own praises; (b) embraced Obama as the hero of Hurricane Sandy; and (c) then refused to appear at campaign events in support of Romney's presidential campaign. Good luck with the remainder of your political future, governor. It is unlikely Republicans shall soon forget your perfidious betrayal."

I don't read or watch Fox News, but I saw this link on tumblr and decided to look. It's not written by Fox News, it written by someone at the American Spectator, but Fox News linked to it. And it seems like most people in the comments agree...

Thoughts?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 7:23 pm
My connection's acting up so I'm not going to the link right now.
But I was really surprised by the vitriol against Christie. Even the most cool, calm and collected of them all, Bill Bennett, said that he was furious with Christie. Yes, he actually used the word furious. And had Christie been snarky and said well, yeah, give the guy points for doing his job, adequately, or something like that, can you imagine how that would have backfired?

Another thought: B"H we have lives and perspective. Hashem pulls the strings in any event.

manyhats

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 7:43 pm
Christie did not act like a friend to Romney.

At the convention he did not mention Romney's name till a full 20 minutes into his remarks.
He acted very chummy to Obama and his picture, with arms linked to Obama, were splashed in all the newspapers.
Christie also cancelled plans to make campaign trips for Romney.

At the very least, Christie was concerned only with #1, HIMSELF.

marina

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 7:51 pm
because it's a betrayal to thank someone for helping your state?

Pretty amazing, those bipartisan republicans who want to work together and get things done.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:01 pm
marina wrote:
because it's a betrayal to thank someone for helping your state?

Pretty amazing, those bipartisan republicans who want to work together and get things done.

likely asking for FEMA $$ is the betrayal, since romney wanted to do away with FEMA.

and people want to belong to the party these people are in, why?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:02 pm
Its comments like those in the article that make me ashamed to be a republican.

First, Mitt Romney had plenty of negatives to lose this election on his own.

Also, Chris Christie has always been the type to say what he thinks. THat's part of his charm. He was thankful for Obama's help and said so. That's a good thing.

Chris Christie is also a republican governor of a democratic state. And has a high approval rating considering. He's not your stereotypical republican.

September June

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:08 pm
I don't see what Christie did wrong. His state was in big trouble after Sandy, Obama was helpful, Christie thanked Obama for helping (in Hebrew we call it hakarat hatov).
If FEMA is around and a gov. doesn't use it, he's only hurting the ppl. in his state. NJ was hit badly and I don't get why ppl. are blaming Christie for taking available aid.

Don't see why it was such a big deal.

imamiri

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:33 pm
So Christie had a bipartisan moment and that's a bad thing?

Hanging Romney's loss on Christie tells you that many in the GOP are just that out of touch.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:36 pm
imamiri wrote:
So Christie had a bipartisan moment and that's a bad thing?

Hanging Romney's loss on Christie tells you that many in the GOP are just that out of touch.

curious that romney's people will blame it on christie, but not on guys like todd akin and the group of rape apologists. slightly skewed, no?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:38 pm
Because Todd Akin is part of the "mens" club.

imamiri

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 8:56 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

Maybe the GOP needs to learn to embrace distancing behavior. Let people know that someone like Akin does not represent the party as a whole, and really mean it, or their candidate. People remember things like that. Akin might not have been speaking for Romney or the whole party, but people believed it.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 9:22 pm
imamiri wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

Maybe the GOP needs to learn to embrace distancing behavior. Let people know that someone like Akin does not represent the party as a whole, and really mean it, or their candidate. People remember things like that. Akin might not have been speaking for Romney or the whole party, but people believed it.

there was an akin ad here, on this site, yesterday. and romney did a video endorsement for richard mourdock. I think he needs to look in his own backyard before heading over to jersey. (and trust me, I am no christie fan)

wispalover

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 10:14 pm
I am a huge Christie fan. He has been awesome through Hurricane Sandy and I, for one, was so impressed with how he stepped up to the plate.
He may be overweight, but you can tell that his looks- similarly to the election- were the last thing on his mind when people in his State don't have power/ heat/ working water/ homes to go back to. IIRC, didn't he even say he basically doesn't care abt the election anymore when asked about it?
Romney and the GOP as a whole need to lay the blame elsewhere. I consider myself a Republican and I did not vote because I felt Romney was so out of touch with the public and needs in this country and since I also wouldn't vote for Obama if he paid me to vote for him, I felt it would be better for me not to vote.

ElTam

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 10:37 pm
Blaming Christie sure beats blaming your party's candidates, your party's tactics, your party's missteps, etc.

You think people in most states cared what Christie did? You think it helped Obama carry Ohio or Michigan? Obama took Ohio because he got the votes in the counties where there are auto industry plants. Ditto Michigan. Romney opposed the auto industry bailout. Obama supported it. His support got him the votes. (I'm not taking a position on the bailout, I'm just telling you I live in Ohio and I've listened to the analysis, and they can see exactly which counties Obama won, and he won the urban centers and the places with auto parts plants. It's just a fact.)

NY was going to go Democratic no matter what. NJ was a blowout. 58% of people for Obama. It has nothing to do with Sandy or what Christie did or didn't do.

But let's play what if. Romney had 206 Electoral College Votes. Let's say that Christie stood up in the middle of Times Square, kissed Mitt Romney's tuchus and told everyone it smelled like a dozen roses. Everyone in NY and NJ decided that after decades of voting Democratic, they are going to for the Republican this time. Romney wins both states. So instead of 206 Electoral College votes, Romney then gets NY's 29 electoral votes and NJ's 14 electoral votes as a result. That gives Romney 249 electoral college votes, which STILL isn't enough to win him the White House.

P.S.--I am not a Democrat or a Republican. My guy lost Tuesday also.

imamiri

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 10:39 pm
wispalover wrote:
I am a huge Christie fan. He has been awesome through Hurricane Sandy and I, for one, was so impressed with how he stepped up to the plate.
He may be overweight, but you can tell that his looks- similarly to the election- were the last thing on his mind when people in his State don't have power/ heat/ working water/ homes to go back to. IIRC, didn't he even say he basically doesn't care abt the election anymore when asked about it?
Romney and the GOP as a whole need to lay the blame elsewhere. I consider myself a Republican and I did not vote because I felt Romney was so out of touch with the public and needs in this country and since I also wouldn't vote for Obama if he paid me to vote for him, I felt it would be better for me not to vote.

I have heard several Republicans repeating the same thing. They were not happy Romney was "their guy". But judging from this article, I am not sure the elite in the GOP get it yet.

theyaffabunny

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 7:35 am
imamiri wrote:
wispalover wrote:

I have heard several Republicans repeating the same thing. They were not happy Romney was "their guy". But judging from this article, I am not sure the elite in the GOP get it yet.

Mitt Romney wasn't a real Republican. He was a moderate under the Republican ticket (because Democrat had the incumbent). It was clear in the beginning that he was moderate, but as Republican candidates started to drop from the race, it was becoming clear that he was going to be nominated as the Republican candidate for president. He changed his views to fit with the Republican party in order to have Republicans vote for him. He just wasn't the guy Republicans wanted to vote for, but had to. Kind of seems like when the Democrats voted for Kerry... wasn't a great candidate, we would have voted for anyone but Bush.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 8:31 am
theyaffabunny wrote:

Mitt Romney wasn't a real Republican. He was a moderate under the Republican ticket (because Democrat had the incumbent). It was clear in the beginning that he was moderate, but as Republican candidates started to drop from the race, it was becoming clear that he was going to be nominated as the Republican candidate for president. He changed his views to fit with the Republican party in order to have Republicans vote for him. He just wasn't the guy Republicans wanted to vote for, but had to. Kind of seems like when the Democrats voted for Kerry... wasn't a great candidate, we would have voted for anyone but Bush.

it's really hard for me to accept that romney was a moderate. no moderate would dictate (yes, he did) his party's platform on abortion. (none, ever, his party's platform. not his, he says, but the party.) no moderate would choose paul ryan as his running mate, the guy's religious views are up there with rick santorum's.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 1:30 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
theyaffabunny wrote:

it's really hard for me to accept that romney was a moderate. no moderate would dictate (yes, he did) his party's platform on abortion. (none, ever, his party's platform. not his, he says, but the party.) no moderate would choose paul ryan as his running mate, the guy's religious views are up there with rick santorum's.

Apparently he picked paul ryan to appeal to more RW Republicans.

busydev

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 1:39 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

there was an akin ad here, on this site, yesterday. and romney did a video endorsement for richard mourdock. I think he needs to look in his own backyard before heading over to jersey. (and trust me, I am no christie fan)

a google ad maybe. not a paid ad... and that would have to do with what you have been looking at recently.

scrltfr

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 3:42 pm
I live in jersey and was fine with Christie's welcoming Obama. He put the state before his own agenda and also basically forced Obama to pay attention to the devastation here. As of now Christie has the gas issue under control and electricity being out is quickly dwindling (although yesterday's storm didn't help). To blame Christie for the Romney loss is ludicrous and the fat comments are so horrific. The man knows he's fat and he has publicly addressed his shortcomings.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics