Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Issue with Landlord

jba

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 6:30 pm
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here it goes.
DH and I rent a house from one of the members of our shul, a nice guy. I spoke with him this morning in order to arrange to get something fixed. He said the fix it man would be over 'at some point'. I said I would be out until 2, please arrange for him to come after that. He said, don't worry if you're not home I'll run over to let him in. I agreed. (since it's not so easy for me to just leave work b.c the fix it man decided to show up). I happen to leave work early today and as I was approaching my house I met my landlord -- on the way to the house to "get some stuff from the basement".
What bothers me is: a) he didn't call to let me know he was going by and b) he knew I wasn't going to be home at that time.
I can't explain why this really bothers me. If I ask DH to speak to the landlord he will probably tell me I am getting crazy over nothing -- I don't think it's nothing. I think it's an invasion of privacy.
Any suggestions with what to do?

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 6:40 pm
I definately would be upset in general if a landlord came into house and felt justified at any point however im confused you said he could run over to let the fix it man in, wasn't this at the same time is there a dif if he gets something or did I understand wrong

Esther01

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 6:53 pm
you mean he went into your house for a reason he didn't ask permission to get in while you are out?

I do think it is inapropriate, to say the least, if a landlord goes into your house with out your full permission. you did give him permission to go in if the fix it man comes around, and your landlord whould only be allowed to go in in that case!! I don't know what you can do or say to the landlord because you want to keep a nice relationship, but somehow he needs to get the message that you don't appreciate his visits.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 7:42 pm
Did you sign a lease when you rented? Check it over to make sure of the terms. It should state how much notice the landlord must give before entering the property (usually 24 hours except for emergencies)

By giving him permission to enter the property for the sake of a repair, you were not giving him blanket permission to enter for ANY purpose. Was the repair done at the same time he went to the basement? If so, look the other way. If the repair was not done at this time, check what your lease says and have your dh complain.

It is not right for a landlord (even a fellow member of the shul) to come over any old time they please! You don't want him to take advantage of when he thinks you will be out! What if you are home resting or showering at a time when he thinks you will be out and he lets himself in! You don't want an unexpected visitor.

Oh and if you do not have a lease agreement, get one fast!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette