Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Homework nightmares! Help!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 4:58 pm
My fourth grade dd is a very good girl, but is giving me trouble w her hmwk. She keeps leaving things in school, not telling me about upcoming tests, and not paying attention in class.
She is very smart, and hasn't done this previously. I tried all sorts of things, from making her makeup the missed work, to having her calli other kids to get the work, to not doing it and let her suffer the consequences. ( the teacher is quite strict about hmwk.) to no avail. It helps for a few days and then back to square one.
How can I get her to bring home her stuff, pay attention in class, etc?
They have a big official hmwk book to write it down in, and she does usually write it in. They write in the work after recess, and she says she's in a rush to make the bus later so she forgets the stuff.
( she tends to sometimes have a hard time adjusting to a new school year, and we just moved, which isn't helping either.)
I told her today, she needs to do her hmwk and studying on her own, but really it won't work, since she needs s/o to listen to hr Chumash, test her on spelling, and help w math- her weaker subject.
Any ideas?!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 7:56 pm
Bump

amother

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 8:17 pm
my daughter is also having issues with that and math is her weaker subj as well. not saying there are issues with your daughter but im having an eval done for my daughter to test her for ADD (though she is not hyperactive). shes sloppy with her schoolwork, leaves things at home or in school, has poor handwriting, focusing issues in school, takes her awhile to get out her hw pad, etc.

finprof

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 8:57 pm
Can she leave out the books/workbooks/papers, etc after each class that she will need to take home so that they are all in one place and she can just grab them and go to the bus?

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 9:06 pm
We have dealt with this. Tell the teachers about the problems you are having, and get their support.

I think the best system is the double signature. She has to be checked/signed off by the teacher before leaving the class that she has written down all work and packed up all supplies. Then, you sign her off at home when it is completed, so that the teacher/s will know that you made sure it was done.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 9:36 pm
im the anon from above. when I wrote abt it taking my daughter awhile to get out her hw pad, I meant to say that in general when the teacher moves on to the next thing my daughter takes longer to take out the next thing. she hasnt been writing down her hw bec by the time she takes out her hw pad to write it down the teacher has moved on.
this is what we did: every day the teacher writes down the hw for her and I have to sign it every nt.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 10:29 pm
She writes it down, but not when she has a test. Or she writes it down, but leaves her stuff in school. And she keeps spacing out by Chumash, even though she always loved it... Not sure what todo.

AztecQueen2000

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 1:27 pm
Spaciness could be a symptom of boredom. Have you asked her about her school experiences?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics