Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Instead of cholent?
Previous  1  2

mommyblue

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 5:54 am
I make something like chulent but instead of beans its with, rice you will need alittle bit of oil , first fry shredded onion carrots , add flanken ,dried apricots ,plums, some tomatoe sauce salt pepper add water bring it to boil and let simmer all night. Husband and kids love it!

elaela

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 6:32 am
chilli con carne:
fry ground meat with jalapeno and cayenne and different spices.
add red beans, sweet corn and salt, cover with water (some like to add tomato paste, I personally dont)and let simmer for about 40 minutes.
put into crockpot , ste on low and serve shabbos lunch with white bread, rice or tacos.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 8:29 am
You can do stuffed cabbages in a crockpot. Also meatballs (can be in broth or in tomato sauce). Serve with rice.

Very similar but slightly more elegant is stuffed vegetables (mehsi). Cut courgettes in 3inch length, hollow out the centre with an apple corer BUT leave one side bottom intact. (You're basically making a small cup.)
Don't throw away the scooped flesh, add to soup or rice, or sautee separately. Fill with mixture of ground meat (lamb/beef, or turkey/beef, season with salt, pepper, paprika, cinnamon. Crushed up mint leaves optional), finely chopped onion, rice (washed and pre-soaked). If using meat/onion/rice instead of meat/onion, stuff vegetables only loosely. Place them on bottom of crockpot, pour diluted tomato sauce. You can stuff red/yellow peppers (don't cut in half, but scoop out the top bit and seeds with white membrane).

French onion soup is very nice--you can add small bits of meat if you want.

Pot roast comes out really nice cooked overnight. I prefer to sear the meat (sprinkle salt, pepper, generous amount of paprika) first. Layer the bottom of crock pot with sliced onions, carrots, celery. Cover 1/2 of meat with dry red wine (don't worry, alcohol evaporates) and a bit of onion soup mix.

I know you said you prefer meat not chicken, but I posted recipe for tebeet which is typical shabbat lunch in Iraq. Also you can do biryani style rice and meat casserole. The trick is to measure water (1.25x to 1.5x of rice) and soak rice for 1/2hr, add generous amount of chopped onions sauteed in oil (oil gives nice crusty bottom and avoids rice gettig stuck). Season lightly with salt, a bit of curry powder or turmeric, cardamon pods (optional but makes the rice really aromatic). You can add chicken/lamb/beef pieces.

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 9:23 am
I am into alternatives to cholent. These are some of the successes:

1) meatballs with and with out rice

2) ra moms sticky brown rice stew

3) cholent meat and potatoes

4) yapchik

5) chicken and rice

fiddle

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 9:29 am
didnt read it all - but sauteed liver in onions and mushroom and tomato salad

spring13

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 11:07 am
I do mushroom-barley soup with bits of meat in it, and chicken soup. You can also make a more beef-stew kind of chulent with everything in bigger pieces, more vegetables, and more liquid. Serve over egg noodles!

Rodent

Post Sat, Aug 25 2012, 9:28 am
We do soup often, usually vegetable, no meat.
Chilli works well, eat it with corn chips, nothing like cholent!

Mommastuff

Post Fri, Oct 26 2012, 10:01 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
seeker wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
Not really like cholent at all, actually. It's just stew. I wouldn't start it so early either. If you want you can prepare it all in the crockpot and keep it in the fridge. Then turn it on right before you light candles. I guess it ends up being like 16 hours or so.
I thought it has to be cooked before shabbos? I don't start so early, usually about 2 hours before Shabbos.

Either totally raw, or 2/3 cooked I think... But check with your authority.

please, please, please someone let me know a source for this! Where does it say that you can put in raw meat right before shabbos? I learned this years ago don't know the source.

MuppetLover

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 7:31 pm
get a milchig crockpot and make lasagna! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/s.....agna/

adapt that to kosher!

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 14 2012, 9:13 pm
For this week, I'll do lentil soup.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 8:29 pm
Stuffed cabbage. Or get a plata; it's hslachically more versatile than a stove
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus