Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Little known Kosher knife facts!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 3:19 pm
Okay, if you know these, good for you....but I have spent YEARS wondering........

You know how some old timers stick a serrated knife into the dirt of houseplants? Well, it stems from not having enough knives, and needing to use a milchig knife for fleishigs, and vice versa (not a ben yoma, obviously). You have to rub it with something abrasive in between.

You know how kids take a knife and pretend to kill someone, in jest? And the others shout out, that makes the knife non Kosher?

WELL !!!!! It stems from if an actual keyli was involved in a murder, it becomes treif/tamei. (Only if the murder actually took place, however).

Anyone? Comments?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 3:32 pm
I always thought that we don't kasher from fleishigs to michigs, and vice versa. You stick a knife in the dirt to kasher it when it has become "treif", or had a shailoh!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 3:58 pm
This is what Rabbi (Hanoka) of the OK Labs said at our Tuesday night shiur. Unless you heard there is another way to go about it....Anyway, these days, people have many knives. It's not done these days, really...

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 4:21 pm
choc, my mother does it all the time (when she mixes up her knives.). Even I've done it a time or two.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 4:31 pm
But it's not really for that, you understand.

mumoo

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 4:34 pm
my father and aunt say as kids they use to put knives in the ground a few weeks before pesach and invariably lose several each year...

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 9:40 pm
My mother has done that to - sticking knives in dirt if they've gotten mixed up. But I think I've learned since then it's not so simple to kashera knife???

ruthanne

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:48 pm
The halacha is, if you treif up a knife you can't just boil it in water like you would do any other kind of silverware, you have to stick it into the ground (any firm soil) ten times. This is b/c a knife is used for cutting which means you use more pressure with it than other silverware, and therefore in order to kasher it you have to also use pressure and stick it in the ground.
It follows the principle of "k'boiloi kach poltoi" - however the taste got absorbed into the vessel, you have to use the same method to remove it.

Hope I made myself clear Smile

ruthanne

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 10:50 pm
Forgot to mention that this only applies to knives that are made of one piece. Not the ones with a plastic handle which AFAIK CANNOT be kashered. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 11:10 pm
my mistake....I don't know if it's a lechatchila, but yes, the knife can be plunged in like 10x. My husband was told that nowadays they suggest steel wool because of it's abrasiveness.

chana61

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 4:27 pm
The rabbi who teaches a halacha class at our shul mentioned this. He said it was done to kasher a knife if you had only one knife to use for both milchig and fleishig, and no other way to kasher it. It had to be driven into hard ground several times in order to create friction to generate heat.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 6:37 pm
Chana, do you attend the same shiur I do?

chana61

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:24 pm
Maybe so! Can you give a hint as to where you are?

mumoo

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:27 pm
um between a rock and a hard place? Smile

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:11 am
Chana61, you can PM me if you want to. No pressure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen