Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why, why WHY don't you keep your sick kids at home?!
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 10:28 pm
This is a vent. My son is in daycare and is sick. So DH and I are frantically scrambling to figure out what to do about tomorrow when he will have to stay home. My son is sick and miserable and will have to stay home for a day or two because some other parent didn't have the consideration to do what we are doing- FIGURE OUT AN ALTERNATE ARRANGEMENT. I know, it's tough. But if I can do it, so can you. Why are people so inconsiderate of others? Why is your convenience worth more than another family's health? I am fuming mad at the selfish parents, whoever they may be, who got other children sick because they couldn't be bothered to find another way. ARGH!!!!!!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 10:31 pm
How do u know who he caught the germ from? he may have picked it up at the grocery, in the park etc... I do understand ur frustration but do u know for a fact that someone let their sick kid come to school?

LiLIsraeli

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 10:36 pm
Seriously? Kids get sick. It happens. It's nobody's fault. I understand that it is an inconvenience, but looking to place blame really isn't productive.

My pediatrician always asks if my kids are home with me or at daycare (baby currently stays home with me), because that is where kids pick up most germs, sick playmates or no.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 10:54 pm
Many times kids are actually contagious before symptoms appear. Even when a child is symptomatic, it doesn't make sense in every case to keep them home. My ds started school this year, and he has basically had one cold after another since september. If I kept him home until he was symptom free every time, he would probably have attended about a week of school in total. I do keep him home if he has fever or is otherwise miserable.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 11:25 pm
Tell me about it! When I finally made a vacht nacht for my son at one month old my cousin had the nerve to bring her daughter with a cold!!!! Just what I needed the day before the bris!

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
Tell me about it! When I finally made a vacht nacht for my son at one month old my cousin had the nerve to bring her daughter with a cold!!!! Just what I needed the day before the bris!

WADR, I think having other kids around a newborn is always a bad idea. I don't have the minhag of vacht nacht, but if I did, the baby would not be in the same room as the other kids.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 11:35 pm
Actually I do keep my kid home when sick only thing is she might have been sick the day before I realized she isn't feeling ok. So yeah I guess she might have cought the strep in school but it might have been from the drastic change of weather at the same time some other kid might have cought it from her the day before her fever came out. If not for that fever I might never have known that something is up. She hates being sick and rarely complains, even now she is so inconsistent that I couldn't figure what she is really complaining about.
So really blaming other parents is just the easy way out. I understand its inconvenient to have the kid stay home. At least you try to do what's right but you still don't know if another kid cought the bug from your kid before you knew to keep him home you wouldn't want them blaming you, do you. Besides he could've cought it in any public place or just from the weather change, or not being properly clothed in particular weather ( overdressed/ underdresed ).
Refuah shaleima and I bless you that this should be the worst problem you encounter.
Good luck.

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:36 am
DS#3 has the chicken pox. He's been home since Friday. He PROBABLY should have been home since Thursday, but we thought what we saw Wednesday night was a diaper rash AND the daycare hadn't said anything about the rash on either Wednesday (it was pretty obvious when I changed him when I got him home) OR on Thursday. I sent him Thursday because the rash hadn't spread out of the diaper area, so I was sure I was seeing diaper rash. By Friday morning it was obvious so I took him to the pediatrician.

But you know what? Even if I'd known immediately what it was, I first saw it at the END of the day. Not only that, but he was contagious Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, before we ever saw spots. He was not headache-y, feverish, or out of sorts (until today, which is already 4 or 5 days later). So we should have kept him out "just in case"? And I should be keeping my other kids out of gan/school in case they are incubating?

(It's not a big deal for me to be home with them right now, I'm on maternity leave. Oh, yes, that DOES mean I have a 4 month old who is also being exposed to it, but in terms of work, it's not an issue. That doesn't mean that I was intentionally disrespectful of other parents' pressures because I sent him to daycare when I didn't know he was sick!)

happy mom1

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 8:03 am
As others have said, my daughter suffers from a chain of ongoing colds throughout fall and winter. I try my hardest to boost her immune system but I can't keep her home all the time, sorry!

marina

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 12:45 pm
sweetness, just because you and your husband can figure out how to make ALTERNATE ARRANGEMENTS, doesn't really mean everyone else can.

Some people are single parents and don't have husbands who help us figure things out. Some people don't have the money for a babysitter. For some people, their job is all that's between them and homelessness. Some of us don't have family or friends who are sitting at home waiting to babysit our child. Some of us have children who tell us they are sick five minutes before we leave for day care and we can't be late for work.

Stop judging.

I know, I know, pot calling the kettle black. Well, whatever, Kabel es haEmes miMi sheAmro.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
This is a vent. My son is in daycare and is sick. So DH and I are frantically scrambling to figure out what to do about tomorrow when he will have to stay home. My son is sick and miserable and will have to stay home for a day or two because some other parent didn't have the consideration to do what we are doing- FIGURE OUT AN ALTERNATE ARRANGEMENT. I know, it's tough. But if I can do it, so can you. Why are people so inconsiderate of others? Why is your convenience worth more than another family's health? I am fuming mad at the selfish parents, whoever they may be, who got other children sick because they couldn't be bothered to find another way. ARGH!!!!!!
I can not believe this post. I agree with you that if someone sends a sick child to a daycare it is not fair, completely agree with you. But on the other hand, and this is what I can not believe, once children are among other children in a daycare or gan, they get sick. Germs are just all over. My daughter started going to gan when she was 2 and 1/2. She hardly ever got sick before that. Then she started gan and almost immediately she got sick (and not just a cold, but pneumonia). Did I blame other parents??? No. Its called kids being with kids. It happens. They get sick.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:05 pm
marina wrote:
sweetness, just because you and your husband can figure out how to make ALTERNATE ARRANGEMENTS, doesn't really mean everyone else can.

Some people are single parents and don't have husbands who help us figure things out. Some people don't have the money for a babysitter. For some people, their job is all that's between them and homelessness. Some of us don't have family or friends who are sitting at home waiting to babysit our child. Some of us have children who tell us they are sick five minutes before we leave for day care and we can't be late for work.

Stop judging.

I know, I know, pot calling the kettle black. Well, whatever, Kabel es haEmes miMi sheAmro.
Marina, I completely disagree with your post. How can anyone send a sick child to daydare/gan/school? It is not fair to the other children and it is not fair to that child either. I dont get it. I am sure that most people get sick days or things like that. And if not, you (general you) as a responsible parent should not send a sick child to be among other children.
Every parent has to have some alternative plan for an in case scenario if their child gets sick.
How would you have liked being sent to gan/daycare being sick? Thats terrible.
I know by my daughter, there are certain things that they dont even let the child into the gan.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:18 pm
Kids in day care get sick. A lot. If you want your child to have a better chance at getting thru cold/flu/sick season and staying healthy, get a nanny to stay at home with him/her. I think that's the only way.

theotherone

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:20 pm
how do you define sick? my kids get colds all winter. and I send them to school all winter. I don't have another choice. No one able to help babysit. No sick/vacation time to use for work. I need to keep my job. Obviously, if they have fever, they are home. Strep throat, home. But a cold? They are in school. Period. And I"m not a bad person.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:31 pm
theotherone wrote:
how do you define sick? my kids get colds all winter. and I send them to school all winter. I don't have another choice. No one able to help babysit. No sick/vacation time to use for work. I need to keep my job. Obviously, if they have fever, they are home. Strep throat, home. But a cold? They are in school. Period. And I"m not a bad person.

No,you're not.

There's sick, and there's sick. And it's silly to suggest that every child be sequestered from the first sniffle through the last cough.

And let's face it, there are days when you don't realize your kid is really sick. Did I ever mention my worst parenting day? The school bus didn't come. So I drove kids to school, only to get stuck on ice right by the school. I finally had to let the car drift down a hill until I get traction. Dropped kids. Drove home. Parked. Took public transportation to work. And not 3 blocks from home, got a call to come get DD, who was now sick. You'd think she might have mentioned it in all that time, but .....

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:37 pm
OK, when I said sick, at least in my posts, I meant things like, strep, stomach bug, fever, diarrhea, vomitting, bad colds, not the sniffles, like laryngitis or other such things.
Those things should not be coming to gan with a child. Those children should be home. Not fair to the children at the school or the SICK child either.

happy mom1

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 1:51 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Kids in day care get sick. A lot. If you want your child to have a better chance at getting thru cold/flu/sick season and staying healthy, get a nanny to stay at home with him/her. I think that's the only way.

And what happens to those kids when they are exposed these germs a bit later in life? They'll just get sick then. Unless you plan on keeping your kid in solitary confinement, I'd rather my kids build up their immune system when they're young.

curlgirl

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 2:18 pm
happy mom1 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

And what happens to those kids when they are exposed these germs a bit later in life? They'll just get sick then. Unless you plan on keeping your kid in solitary confinement, I'd rather my kids build up their immune system when they're young.

"Building up the immune system" sounds like something parents say to make themselves feel better about their kid being sick all the time from daycare.

Do you have proof that something is being "built up" and it's not just a kid getting, well, sick- again and again?

(FTR I sent my babies to daycare full-time. But I tried not to rationalize about how wonderful it was for them)

happy mom1

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 2:27 pm
curlgirl wrote:
happy mom1 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

"Building up the immune system" sounds like something parents say to make themselves feel better about their kid being sick all the time from daycare.

Do you have proof that something is being "built up" and it's not just a kid getting, well, sick- again and again?

(FTR I sent my babies to daycare full-time. But I tried not to rationalize about how wonderful it was for them)

I definitely don't think it's wonderful when my kids are sick.

curlgirl

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 2:30 pm
happy mom1 wrote:
curlgirl wrote:
happy mom1 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

I definitely don't think it's wonderful when my kids are sick.

I didn't mean that. But why invent "positives" that might not even exist?

DOES it build up the immune system? I'm really asking.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics