Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are there other religions with so many "rules?"
Previous  1  2  3

anonymom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 3:28 am
check out this facsinating website:
fatwah-online.com

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 6:24 am
Quote:
And mainstream Catholics who do care about their religion can easily obtain an annulment in cases of abuse, abandonment, and sometimes even addiction issues.

It's only their crazies (like our burka women crazies) that prevent women from escaping abusive marriages.

I'm not sure it's so poshut. I know there's an idea that a Catholic bishop will sanction an annulment for a marriage in the case of the "three A's" (abuse, adultery and addiction), and other reasons (you can read on Wikipedia-- they are pretty serious, I.e. one of the spouses having been tricked into the marriage or committing murder). Certainly people do get annulments and especially in cases of abuse. But I remember in college attending a session about religion that included the campus priest, and he was asked about the topic of divorce and abuse. He said it was the responsibility of the two people getting married to really know who they were marrying-- the implication being that you should know beforehand if your spouse would turn out to be abusive. Granted this was only the view of one priest, but I think shows it's a complicated subject.

But since there is no real divorce for Catholics, if a marriage falls apart (for any myriad of reasons outside of outright abuse or abandonment), neither person can ever remarry in the church. If someone is an observant Catholic, that basically means they can never remarry in a way that is recognized by the religion they follow. This seems difficult, to me at least.

I've also heard that the Sikh religion is very demanding, but don't know much about it. Interesting topic!

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 6:37 am
Also, someone already mentioned some of the rules in the Eastern Orthodox churches-- they do have very serious fasting practices and don't eat any animal products (eggs, meat, fish, dairy) for all of lent, which is 6 or 7 weeks straight. I knew some greek girls growing up and it seemed like the whole community followed this, not just the very devout.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics