Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
White Mattress/ Mattress Pad - Avoiding Niddah Issues

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 10:25 pm
I've tried searching on Imamother but haven't found much on this topic.

For those that care about using colored sheets during clean times, what is the solution for white mattresses/mattress pads?

I've had colored mattresses in the past and didn't use mattress pads specifically because they are white.
As inconvenient as it may be (with kids occasionally having accidents in my bed...), it gave me the peace of mind.
Now, my new mattresses are going to be white, and I have no idea what to do Sad

Would it help at least to get mattress pads made of polyester rather than cotton?

Please advise!!

jaysmom

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 10:31 pm
How many times will you leak blood through your colored sheets onto your mattress pad during clean days? I think its a non-issue. You can always call your rav if you want reassurance.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 10:33 pm
Can you please explain how it may come to be a niddah issue? If you have a sheet on top of the mattress pad and you are wearing PJs and underwear and there is no blood anywhere else (especially on underwear) then you prob can assume any blood found on mattress pad is not uterine blood. Besides you would only find the blood when you take the sheet off and unless that's everyday you wouldn't know when the blood is from therefore you may be able to explain it as being from a cut or scab on another part of your body.
(I'm not bashing, just trying to understand OPs question)

miami85

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 10:50 pm
I had a problem during my kallah days. After my "2nd time". Not sure why we checked but it leaked through the sheet to the mattress--no cover and I became nidda. But normally u might be able to use the leniency of assuming that its from a period not a kesem. Also the reason I had blood was as a direct result of having relations and not having anything to intercept the blood. If you have been married a while probably not a major concern. Finally according to my DH a bed--no matter what material or size of stain-- is mekabel tumah soa diff color wont matter (mine was a tiny spot)

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 10:56 pm
I don't get how it will ever be a problem. If you're bleeding enough to go through whatever you're wearing, through your sheet, onto your mattress pad - it's presumably enough to make you tamei no matter what color it's on.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2012, 11:07 pm
Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Of course, the question is not about bleeding but staining.

When - whenever linen is changed I assume. As in stripping your bed only to discover some odd stain from who knows when on the white material underneath (and having a sheela that wouldn't exist if the stuff were not white, and having to wait until you get to a rav, or get the linen to a rav - you get the picture).

Even though it is normally not an issue, I've been taught to avoid even minute white parts on the bedding pattern so as to minimize the possibility of becoming niddah unnecessarily because of staining on white.
Hence, the question concerns the possibility of discovering a kesem on a white mattress protector or mattress.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 12:01 am
So nu, if you're worried, dye your mattress cover. End of problem.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 12:07 am
Huh? How does the mattress get dirty while the sheet stays clean? I don't understand any of this. Or why it should ever be questionable. I always have a white mattress pad, plus an extra white sheet under my regular linen. If you are wearing panties, and a nightgown, and there is a sheet on the bed, it has to go through three layers before it gets to the under layer. It there ever is a stain on there, it would have to come from what is on top of it... this makes absolutely no sense. That is why today many people buy black pads to place underneath themselves when they sleep. At other times, stains should not be looked for. If seen on a farfetched place, it is assumed it came from a while ago, from a child, or from chocolate? Who knows? I don't think anyone takes mattress pads to their Rav, nor sheets. Everyone takes a little cloth called a bedika. Or panties, at the most.

Sherri

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 10:20 am
miami85 wrote:
Finally according to my DH a bed--no matter what material or size of stain-- is mekabel tumah soa diff color wont matter (mine was a tiny spot)
What does this mean? Only a bedikah cloth with blood renders one an automatic niddah no matter the size.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 10:37 am
Sherri wrote:
miami85 wrote:
Finally according to my DH a bed--no matter what material or size of stain-- is mekabel tumah soa diff color wont matter (mine was a tiny spot)
What does this mean? Only a bedikah cloth with blood renders one an automatic niddah no matter the size.

This is correct. A kesem can only be on something that is mikabel tumah, but then the size (and color) is a consideration. On a bedikah (that goes inside you) size doesn't matter, but color still does.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
I've tried searching on Imamother but haven't found much on this topic.

For those that care about using colored sheets during clean times, what is the solution for white mattresses/mattress pads?

I've had colored mattresses in the past and didn't use mattress pads specifically because they are white.
As inconvenient as it may be (with kids occasionally having accidents in my bed...), it gave me the peace of mind.
Now, my new mattresses are going to be white, and I have no idea what to do Sad

Would it help at least to get mattress pads made of polyester rather than cotton?

Please advise!!

I just don't look when I change my linens. And if you don't look on a regular basis and then one time you see something that's a shaylah, you may be able to assume it was from a time before you went to the mikvah so no longer a problem, but of course, ask you rav.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:

Please advise!!

Most pads are not made of pure cotton, they are a combination of polyester or cotton or some other fabrics.
I think if pads are made of different fabrics, such as wool, there should be no problem, but AYLR.

Another good idea is to paint the mattress and mattress cover a bright fire engine red.... no problems forever.

happy2Bamommy

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:48 pm
So far, it seems that the most simple solution for this would be to place a black pad (are u familiar with it?) on top of ur mattress/mattress pad, (find out if its sold in ur area, if it isn't u can order it and it will be shipped to u). The stains don't go through it and it won't move unless u move it.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 10:26 pm
AYLOR. You may be surprised at the response.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:01 pm
Will ask the rav.

For all the newer replies: of course, it is not about staining through 3 layers, but about discovering a stain on white mattress pad when changing linen. Assuming a kesem on mattress pad is from before last immersion is sometimes not a solution if one has babies and goes to mikvah once a year but changes her linen more often than that Smile

Black pad sounds like a good idea. Do you know where to find one?

happy2Bamommy

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 11:18 pm
The black pads are advertised in some of the English weekly magazines like Mishpacha, Binah and possibly Ami too. I don't have any magazines handy now to check through it. Anyone else available to help out here with the info of the black pads?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry