Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to make chopped liver

Leahh

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 10:08 pm
I want to make my own chopped liver for shabbos. I have a recipe to sautee it but how do I grind it smoothly like the takeout stores do it? I tried a few times but I never got it quite as smooth. Any ideas?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 10:16 pm
Leahh wrote:
I want to make my own chopped liver for shabbos. I have a recipe to sautee it but how do I grind it smoothly like the takeout stores do it? I tried a few times but I never got it quite as smooth. Any ideas?
You need to thin it more in order to get it more smooth.
Takeout places use a lot of egg, and oil/marg to thin.

mom2dkay

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 10:17 pm
I sauté the liver first with oil, onions, paprika and salt. I leave half sautéed, in bite size pieces. The other half I chop: with a hard boiled egg, more oil and salt, with a hand blender in the pot. Everyone loves it. I also look for soft pieces of liver, not the very hard, burnt ones.

Leahh

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 10:26 pm
mom2dkay wrote:
I sauté the liver first with oil, onions, paprika and salt. I leave half sautéed, in bite size pieces. The other half I chop: with a hard boiled egg, more oil and salt, with a hand blender in the pot. Everyone loves it. I also look for soft pieces of liver, not the very hard, burnt ones.

I sautee the same way you do. I didn't want to add egg to chop it because I serve it with egg & that would be too much. Do you think adding more onions might help?

mom2dkay

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 10:41 pm
Never tried it without egg, but it sounds good. Also, I trim away the hard/ burnt edges.

EvenI

Post Thu, Nov 29 2012, 2:31 am
I fry liver and slices of onion in olive oil and then put it in a food processor and process it with more olive oil and salt and pepper. Nothing else. It tastes very good that way. If you want it to be very smooth and spreadable, you have to add lots of oil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note