Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone heard of Tzedaka Vechesed

shayna82

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 8:06 pm
there have been money collectors through the last year or so claiming they are from tzedaka vechesed. they show me the papers, it looks legit, but I always wonder. it is always male, looking rabbinic, and thats that. well this evening, an israeli woman comes to the door wiht her own sob story - husband had a heart attack, daughter with crohnes .... so when im writing out the check I said, what should I make it out to, shes like tzedaka vechesed. it is FORSURE that same orginization. so, I realized after that eventhough she said she got the letters from rabbi miller ( a local rabbi of a shul) I didnt see them, she didnt have them out, and I guess I just forgot to ask. they usually have them out so you can see.

so this is my deal. is this organization a scam? are they paying people such as this woman to go out in the cold door to door to collect money for this "organization" thats a fraud. I dont know what to think. I was considering saying something, but is that my yetzer harah telling me??

anyone ever heard of this organization?

cassandra

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 8:42 pm
It is not really an organization. It's a kind of glorified money laundering. You write the check, then organization takes a cut, and in return the recipient doesn't have any tax hassles, etc. I refuse to write checks to this, and instead ask the person for their name. I do this on the advise of my rabbi. I have never seen someone bring documentation from them (my community does their own background checking of collectors) but I do not think it is trustworthy.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 8:47 pm
I never give anyone who comes around collecting without a letter signed by the Vaad Hatzedaka. Dh's cousin is the one who signs the papers, and it's just a matter of him calling his contacts in Israel or wherever the collector is from and verifying his story.
He told us some CRAZY stories of such scams. It's really sad.

And the collectors here know they have to have the paper, and they are happy to show you it.

melalyse

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:20 pm
I don't know if we are speaking about the same organization but I know the person who runs this and they do a lot of good things.

shayna82

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:30 pm
where is he based?
I cant imagine there being too many with the same names.

MOM222

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:32 pm
Tzedaka Vechesed, is GEMACH. They DO NOT take money or a cut from anyone. Most of the people going collecting do not own a bank account, or aren't from the United States. So Tzedaka Vechesed cashes the check for them. They also loan money as a regular gemach. The person who runs this has never made a penny off this. If you really want his name you can Pm me.

melalyse

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:34 pm
Are we speaking about the organization in williamsburg?

shayna82

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:37 pm
MOM222 wrote:
Tzedaka Vechesed, is GEMACH. They DO NOT take money or a cut from anyone. Most of the people going collecting do not own a bank account, or aren't from the United States. So Tzedaka Vechesed cashes the check for them. They also loan money as a regular gemach. The person who runs this has never made a penny off this. If you really want his name you can Pm me.

so it makes sense then, that this woman who says she is collecting for herself, would request a check to that instituion, who then willl give her the money? why not ask for a check for herself, to her name. I dont get it.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:47 pm
She might not have a bank account.

MOM222

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:02 pm
[quote="MOM222"] Most of the people going collecting do not own a bank account, or aren't from the United States. So Tzedaka Vechesed cashes the check for them. quote]

Esther01

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:53 pm
MOM222 wrote:

MOM222 is correct!!! the person who runs this is someone very special and NOT A FRAUD. keep giving tzedakkah, and may you never be on the other side of the door.

MOM222

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:55 pm
He's based in brooklyn.

rainbow

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 11:11 pm
edited

Last edited by rainbow on Sun, Jan 14 2007, 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 9:40 am
You can never be too careful though. There was a situation where people who came collecting here were found out - because some boys from the town in which they were last were running after them. They stole their teffilin so that they would look frum - even though they weren't.

Smart of you to check on the situation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics