Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Mayim Bialik on the Late Late Show
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

momfrombrooklyn

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 1:57 am
I think that in the NY area most pple are aware that many religious women dont touch strange men. At work when meeting a kids' father, especially for the first time, I try to make sure my hands are full. Most (non jewish) fathers dont attempt to shake hands, and if they do, I just say, "I dont shake hands with men", and no one ever had a problem with it.

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 2:55 am
momfrombrooklyn wrote:
I think that in the NY area most pple are aware that many religious women dont touch strange men. At work when meeting a kids' father, especially for the first time, I try to make sure my hands are full. Most (non jewish) fathers dont attempt to shake hands, and if they do, I just say, "I dont shake hands with men", and no one ever had a problem with it.

I think you are assuming a lot of knowledge on the part of non-Jews.

willow

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 6:16 am
Why are you being deliberately obtuse? A professional handshake is not a hug or a kiss. It is not a sign of Love. That being said you can not change the fact that a handshake is a Heter for THOSE situations. I hug my men friends chibbah or not is not allowed as Rav Mosha states

willow

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 6:19 am
DrMom wrote:
momfrombrooklyn wrote:

Maybe but if you are a well-rounded intelligent and respectful adult you can "take" being told by a Jew or religious Muslim I don't touch men outside of my family.

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 6:40 am
willow wrote:
DrMom wrote:
momfrombrooklyn wrote:

Maybe but if you are a well-rounded intelligent and respectful adult you can "take" being told by a Jew or religious Muslim I don't touch men outside of my family.

Agreed.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 10:26 am
But we have to keep in mind show biz is it's own world, and standards of respect and tolerance are completely different from civilized society.

(Yes, I did just say show biz is uncivilized, if for no other reason, than the existence of tabloids.)

imamiri

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 1:36 pm
And this today, Top 10 Things You Should Know About Mayim’s Appearance on Craig Ferguson
By Mayim Bialik at 12:00 pm:

http://www.kveller.com/mayim-b.....uson/

I like this part:
Quote:

When Craig brought up my sheer sleeves being s-xy, I cringed. In many Modern Orthodox circles, women wear sheer sleeves. And since I’ve stopped reading FaceBook comments about how immodest many Orthodox women find me, I’m going to go ahead and type the following… I felt kind of odd having him mention my sleeves as s-xy, because that made it feel overt. And I wasn’t trying to be overt. I was covering them in some way. But I suppose that’s why stringent women don’t consider sheer sleeves modest…I can’t get too hung up on any of the debate. Suffice it to say, I was glad when he moved on from the topic. And I love my sheer sleeves. Even if not everyone does.

Glad she ignores the smack talked about her.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Dec 07 2012, 2:23 pm
Some people were really nasty to her on facebook. Her facebook page was actually her and people knew it and lashed out at her. It was so terrible to read.

grace413

Post Sat, Dec 08 2012, 11:54 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Some people were really nasty to her on facebook. Her facebook page was actually her and people knew it and lashed out at her. It was so terrible to read.

Why do some people enjoy being mean? I think people are jealous - Mayim is a famous actress and has a doctorate in neuroscience. Whatever her level of observance is, it is more than she grew up with and I have a great deal of respect for anybody who succeeds in keeping even one more mitzvah than they did previously.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Dec 08 2012, 7:12 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

That's really sad. My earlier post was geared to the tangent, not Mayim. She doesn't posit herself as anything other than a work in progress and everything I've read seems to show what a kiddush Hashem she can and does make.

mirror

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 8:53 pm
Her husband is Ger Tzedek. So sad they divorced.

http://www.kveller.com/blog/pa.....rmon/

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 9:27 pm
I'm not sure his conversion was halachically acceptable (based on this article alone -- I have no knowledge of him prior to this).
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links