Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Kindle fire vs Ipad

amother

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 3:14 pm
I had my eyes set on getting a ipad, but the prices are crazy...
Does the kindle fire compare anyway to the ipad? I want it for browsing the web, games, skype, and good quality movies.
Would you say it does the above well?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 3:30 pm
There are other Android tablets that are much cheaper than the iPad, but have more capabilities than the Kindle Fire. Take a look at the Google Nexus, for example.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 3:47 pm
I wanted to buy a tablet recently but didn't have enough for an ipad. after some online research the consensus seemed to be that the best ones are the google nexus, kindle fire, and samsung galaxy tab. the galaxy comes in two size - 7 inch and 10 inchs. I actually got the samsung galaxy 10 inch first and changed it for the smaller one which was also cheaper and I prefer it. I'm very happy with it so far. the only annoyance is is that it cannot pick up internet from my iphone so I can only use it with wifi. Unless you get the 3g model and a plan which is a lot more money.

I got the galaxy because of availability issues with the other ones, but all seem to be good. look online, there is a lot of stuff out there on this topic.

not sure if kindle fire has a camera, so don't know if you can skype.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 3:50 pm
I am planning to buy a Kindle fire soon... I asked my SIL in the US if she can bring it when she comes to visit in a few months and she told me to get the Galaxy tablet and just download the Kindle app.

Does the Kindle app. have all the features as the Kindle itself? Or will I be losing something in the translation?

I wanted to buy a Kindle primarily for the book-reading (and also to check my Facebook when I'm on the bus)

amother

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 3:53 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
There are other Android tablets that are much cheaper than the iPad, but have more capabilities than the Kindle Fire. Take a look at the Google Nexus, for example.

Do u mind gicing me examples of what capabilities the nexus has over the kindle? Thanks

chani8

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 3:56 pm
I had to make a similar decision and recently chose to buy an Android Tablet. I'm happy with it.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 4:30 pm
I have a brand new in box Kindle fire, if you want to buy it off of me

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 5:35 pm
I'm a complete Kindle devotee and have written long, belabored posts describing my love for the Kindle. I got the Kindle Fire within days of its introduction, and my family currently has six Kindles, not including my 85-year-old father's Kindle Fire (purchased the day it was introduced). Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

* Despite its aspirations, the Kindle is not a replacement for a computer. I find the on-screen keyboard difficult to use for anything other than a quick list or note. The screen is too small for general web-browsing, and although pricier and more recent models have larger screens, they are still too small for my aging eyes.

* It is a fabulous ebook reader and offers the largest selection of ebooks. Bestsellers can by pricey, but there are troves of books ranging from $.99 to $5 that are often just as good if not better than whatever the big publishers are pushing.

* I hate the fact that the Kindle Fire relies entirely on wireless Internet capability rather than the old WhisperNet technology that used cell phone signals. I don't care what anyone says about wireless, it is not everywhere, and it seems that the times I most want to connect are the times when I have to hold my Kindle in the air at odd angles to get a signal.

* Movies and TV are fabulous and very cost-effective. I splurged and got Amazon Prime, which entitles you to more free entertainment than you reasonably have time for. I love British TV, and there is plenty. I can exchange bon mots with the most dedicated Anglophile.

* Apps are fun or useful and entirely too addictive. I have personally had withdrawal symptoms from Style Me Girl and Fish Farm. However, I did reach level 115 on Fish Farm while amassing a fortune of 8,000,000 coins.

DD has the newest Kindle version with a camera, which in our opinion was rushed to market. It doesn't have a built-in camera app, so you have to search around to find one that works.

Basically, I'd highly recommend any Kindle for someone who wants an ebook reader. The Kindle Fire is great if you want an ebook reader plus a few other entertainment options. But if you need a full-fledged computer, it's not the best option.

zissy2004

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 6:00 pm
I just recently spent hours researching tablets. In the end I bought ipad2 from amazon for a great price (for me) and I love it! The kindle I would only buy if you will be using it mostly to read ebooks. And u have to decide which size screen you want. I wanted a 10 inch since I have loads of ebooks to read. If price is an issue I would look at second hand. Mine was like new condition and half the price. Some good android tablets are Samsung galaxy tab, asus transformer tf201 or tf101. I would advise you to read all reviews you can. Good luck with your choice!

September June

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 6:22 pm
If you want a cheaper tablet, I would go with the Samsung galaxy tab or the Google Nexus. Both are superior to the kindle fire.

Ewa jo, the kindle reading app is the same thing as reading off a kindle fire.

passaicmom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 8:21 pm
I have an iPad and I hate it, I bought it after my net book died. I knew it was not going to do everything a computer can, but I keep being disappointed by its limitations it does not support adobe flash and it does not give me full access to my gmail. I purchased a refurbished one from apple and saved $100 on it but I still don't think it was worth it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 9:58 pm
The Kindle App is exactly the same on a Kindle Fire or any android based tablet. It is not user friendly in terms of organization, like a classic Kindle is, and as it's not e-ink, in glaring sunlight it's hard to read. On the other hand, there is no need for a backlight to read in the dark. The lack of organization thing is really a downside.

The Kindle Fire is set up to get apps from the Amazon appstore, which is not nearly as comprehensive as the Google Play appstore.

Also, buying a Kindle supposedly lets you borrow thousands of books for free if you have Prime but in reality, it's one book per month, which is absurd. I don't like business practices that promise way more than the fine print shows.

Basically, a Google tablet with a Kindle app is way more versatile, without losing any functionality. And way, way cheaper than an iPad...the apps are also cheaper/free with google play.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 10:17 pm
You can have the kindle app on an ipad too.
We have an Ipad 3 and a HTC Evo google tablet, they are each good for different things.
I like to read books from the library on my tablet as its 7 inches and easy to handle.
It's also great for kids games. I can also tether to my phone for wifi when away from home.

The ipad is great for skype and my husband uses it for learn on. I prefer the internet on the ipad as it's smoother than the tablet. I can't tether though when away from wifi.

Tablets and Ipads don't replace computers and although we put an office program on Ipad, it's not the same.
I do use various apps on the ipad for work related things and love it for that.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 4:28 am
its not a computer replacement at all. Ok for a quick email or whatever. It is great for skype calls, watching movies, reading books, sefarim, web browsing, and playing games. Also organising your life. I do a lot of stuff on my tablet that I used to do on my iphone.

Oh, and if flash is important to you, do not get an ipad.

Tethering may be an issue - if you have a smartphone I don't think you can tether an android phone to an ipad and vice versa, but that may depend on the phone. My phone is an iphone 3gs and it won't tether to my samsung tablet. maybe more recent iphones will.

zissy2004

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 4:54 am
Raisin wrote:
its not a computer replacement at all. Ok for a quick email or whatever. It is great for skype calls, watching movies, reading books, sefarim, web browsing, and playing games. Also organising your life. I do a lot of stuff on my tablet that I used to do on my iphone.

Oh, and if flash is important to you, do not get an ipad.

Tethering may be an issue - if you have a smartphone I don't think you can tether an android phone to an ipad and vice versa, but that may depend on the phone. My phone is an iphone 3gs and it won't tether to my samsung tablet. maybe more recent iphones will.

Well, I use sky fire browser for flash and it plays flash fine.
If ur iPhone is jailbroken you can install pdanet for free and use it to create a wifi hotspot! I have a 3GS and my ipad uses its 3G.

smiledr

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:04 am
I have both and the kindle fire doesn't come close to the iPad . The two biggest differences are size (I felt kindle is too small) and iPad has 4g (optional feature). If price is a big concern u certainly do get a lot for 159 ( cost of kindle fire) vs $700 (iPad) .

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2012, 9:09 am
Op here:
My dh was in best buy and saw a acer iconia tab a200 which was on sale from 350 to 225. Anyone have this model?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics