Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Chulent?

birdy

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 1:03 pm
How do you make your chulent? Last week was the first time I did it, wasn't so good... I first sauteed the onion and meat for a few minutes, then added chulent mix, great northern beans, and potatoes. A few hours later I added the barley. Didn't taste so good- what kind of meat to use? How do you keep warm on shabbos? (crock pot, hot plate, blech)

r_ch

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 1:14 pm
I add barley right after meat, then beans and sautee it all a little, add salt. Then add water and after it comes to boil, add potatoes. Also black pepper and bay leaf. I keep it on low for a few hours before shabos and then transfer onto the shabos hot plate. I make it more of a soup as well, don't like dry.
"Culent meat" or flank is the best, but apart from that, I use calf breast bone. It gives jelly like consistence to the thole thing.

mykidsmother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:38 pm
I have a delicious tried and true recipe.... I've been making cholent for quite some years now and there was always a problem with it... Undercooked overlooked burnt etc. the past few weeks I have been following an exact recipe and it came out delicious... I've also shared this recipe with a few people some of them even here on imamother... Will post it in a few min

simplesima

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:42 pm
I saute Onion and garlic, then add one bag great northern beans, meat ( whichever I have that week)
salt, white pepper, and honey.
I cook it for hours on low and it's heavenly.

Sima
www.theheimishebalabuste.blogspot.com

mykidsmother

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 2:49 pm
My tried and true every time delicious cholent...

1 onion diced
1 pk cholent mix (I used navy beans)
5 oz barley
1/4 c. Oil
8 cups water
1 tbs. paprika
1 tbs. salt
1 sugar
1 tbs. honey
1 tsp. black pepper ( I use less than 1/2 tsp.)
Meat

Soak beans and barley put in crockpot add onions and rest of ingredients. Cook for a few hours on high then put on low.
After cooking for about2 hours I add meat whatever I have... Flanken, cholent meat, ...

It's delicious

checkbefore

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 7:37 pm
Here is my recipe if u like a rich flavorful chulent!

I put this up Friday morning and it is perfect for shabbos lunch.
1-2 cans whole potatoes
Cheek meat (very soft)
1 Tb onion powder
1/2 c barley
1 c chulent bean mix
1/2 c red kidney beans
2-3 marrow bones
1 Tb garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tb paprika
Two figure-eights of ketchup
Two rings of honey around the pot

Add water to cover and put on high. I put in some frozen kishka right before the zman and then turn it to low.

ENJOY!!!

familyfirst

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 8:50 pm
checkbefore-I love the measurement "two figure-eights around the pot"! So precise! (I actually DO get it! Just couldn't resist commenting!)

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 01 2013, 11:38 pm
I've tried making cholent for years and it never came out good untill I started using a can of baked beans - Now my cholent comes out greayt every time.

I brown the meat (flanken or spare ribs)
take the meat out of the pot.
sotee an onion
add a can of baked beans, quorter cup barly, quorter cup ref lentils, the meat and potatoes (I only put in one potatoe cause we don't really like it but you can put in as much as you like) add water to cover, salt, pepper and about a quorter cup ketchup.
cook for about an hour.
before shabbos I put in hot dogs and sometimes kishka and boil it. (I sometimes add some more water at this point)

from these amounts you get about five nice servings.

checkbefore

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 6:34 am
familyfirst wrote:
checkbefore-I love the measurement "two figure-eights around the pot"! So precise! (I actually DO get it! Just couldn't resist commenting!)

Ye, I should probably measure it sometime....

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 6:53 am
Birdy, did you put in salt and pepper? It's really needed unless you use a very salty piece of meat.

acccdac

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 6:56 am
I take flanken meat and put in crockpot (one strip for us, I add a second if we have guests). Then I pour my beans on top about 1/2 cup worth and about 1/4 cup worth of barley. Then I sprinkle on salt, 2 cubes of frozen garlic, zigzag the pot with honey, and then I put A TON of paprika, probably close to a 1/4 cup. Then I cube a potato put on top. Pour in water (about 2-3 cups worth) enough to cover the potatoes.

then I plug it in on low and leave it be until lunch.

ctgal20

Post Wed, Jan 13 2021, 8:35 am
mykidsmother wrote:
My tried and true every time delicious cholent...

1 onion diced
1 pk cholent mix (I used navy beans)
5 oz barley
1/4 c. Oil
8 cups water
1 tbs. paprika
1 tbs. salt
1 sugar
1 tbs. honey
1 tsp. black pepper ( I use less than 1/2 tsp.)
Meat

Soak beans and barley put in crockpot add onions and rest of ingredients. Cook for a few hours on high then put on low.
After cooking for about2 hours I add meat whatever I have... Flanken, cholent meat, ...

It's delicious

I know this is very old but do you use potatoes?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics