Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
17 mnth old in a reg. bed

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 2:56 pm
My 17 month old has been sleeping in my bed since she was 14 mnths old. One night as I was putting her into the crib, she started screeching, not from being bad, but from fright. I put her to sleep in my hands and when I put her into the crib(she was fast asleep) she started screeching from fright. I let her sleep in my bed (big mistake) and she hasnt left it since. She is still scared of her crib, I have tried a few times putting her back in.

My question is like this, should I just put her into her own big girl bed(a high riser)? With me, in my bed, I feel her moving around, and I dont have to worry about her falling off the bed, unless I am not in bed with her. How do I know if I can put her into her own bed?

S.Shcwartz

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 3:17 pm
A bed with a good rail shouldn't be a problem at all.

Esther01

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 3:36 pm
I put my 18 month old into a bed. I put her on the lower high riser and left it low, this way if she did fall it was on carpet. the good thing about this is that after it happening maybe twice the child learns how much space she has and won't fall of the bed.
another option is to put her on the top bed and pull out the lower bed (if it's empty) so incase she falls it's onto the other bed.

I like that my kids learned to sleep in regular beds when they were young.

smiley:)

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 3:49 pm
Or you can also try to put a mattress on the floor.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 5:49 pm
thanx for the advice. I just want my own room back, lol

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 6:10 pm
We never allowed kids in our bed, for that reason! Get the kind of rail that folds down, it's much easier.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 11:16 pm
She is my first kid that I let sleep in my bed, but I thought she would get over her fear. Since she hasn't, I figured its time to put her into her own bed.

Does anyone know what gate is good for a high riser?

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 11:57 pm
I coslept with my son from birth and he never moved into a crib because we lived in a teeny apartment with no room for one. He always slept on the regular bed and I think he fell off once when he was realy little like a year old. It always made the grandparents nervous bc he liked to sleep near the edge but he knew his space and when we moved to a bigger place he moved into his own bed with no rail and we never had a problem.

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 11:57 pm
I coslept with my son from birth and he never moved into a crib because we lived in a teeny apartment with no room for one. He always slept on the regular bed and I think he fell off once when he was realy little like a year old. It always made the grandparents nervous bc he liked to sleep near the edge but he knew his space and when we moved to a bigger place he moved into his own bed with no rail and we never had a problem.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 1:34 am
The funny thing is , she doesnt know her space at all. I have two 48" beds pushed together, and it still isnt enough for her shock I am hoping if I put her into her own bed, with a gate, she'll have no choice but to get used to not sleeping with me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics