Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Gifted, maybe-ADHD daugher won't do homework

amother

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 1:59 pm
She procrastinates all afternoon, and just won't do it. I was just like that myself all the way thru college, but I don't know how to help her. Tried, rewards, punishments, consequences, sticker charts, 15-minute timer, and many other variations but she just gets overwhelmed by the idea of homework and wont make any progress.
I would consider therapy if that is actually helpful, but I'm skeptical because I tried cog-behav therapy myself for my ADD and it was totally not useful. And I don't want her to be medicated for this - she is hyper sometimes at home, but behaves very well in school without excessive spacing-out. BTW she is 8 yrs old. We're in Israel.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 2:10 pm
Did you try giving her more power? Letting her decide when? Breaking it down to small peices? Like Write one sentence now, come back in 40 minutes and do one more. I feel for you, I have one who has complete meltdowns at the thought of homewok and one extreme copycat b"h. Love them but challenging is the right description.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 12:08 am
I had the same issue. My dd is gifted and adhd. She is 10. We hired a tutor for her this year and it is amazing, b"H! She likes having the tutor, she likes the structure of knowing that the tutor comes at the same time every day, and she actually does her homework! There is no power struggle, no complaining, and no fighting. Best money ever spent.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 3:14 am
OP here-
I like that tutor idea. How long do you have her for-- the entire time she is working on the homework? What does she do exactly? And if you are in Israel how much do you pay her?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 2:34 pm
I am OOT in the US. I pay her $15/ 45 minutes (this really varies by location). She is first year back from Sem. She basically does Chumash, Rashi, and Rashi sheets. I have her 4 days/week. The tutor says she is doing pretty well. When I do HW with her she does not do it well. Since dd and I both have ADHD, we both procastinate (and I am also busy with other stuff...)

Alternatively, I have heard of people hiring HS students and paying them $10/hour. I considered that, but I wanted someone older who was not in school anymore, so she would take the job more seriously. I also like that she can drive (probably not an issue in Israel).

I really strongly recommend this to anyone who is having HW issues with their kids.

LisaS

Post Thu, Jan 10 2013, 2:46 am
We had homework tutors for two years and paid 50NIS for a 50 minute lesson.

In both cases they were women in their mid-twenties who were finishig their degrees in education.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)