Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is Summer Camp a Necessity?
1  2  Next

ShiraMiri

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 8:50 am
BH, we have managed to send our children to day camps for the last few years. They enjoy it and the routine and I am able to keep up my work schedule. However, it so darn expensive! I am not saying that the cost isn't worth it - because between the staff and the programming the camp works so hard and is wonderful. It is worth every penny for what they do and more.

When I was young I never once went to camp. During the summer, you went to the library, read books, took day trips to the local museums, the beach, hung out at Bubbie's house, watched TV, played with your friends, etc. Unstructured time to veg out. Now, camp is like school, in a way. Kids expect to go. Part of it is because camp is used like school or day care so both parents can work. However, even in families where one parent is home, camp is still a given.

What do you all think? Is summer camp a given today? Does anyone NOT send their kids? Does anyone have a kid that doesn't like going to camp and wants the downtime from school and schedule? Does your camp give scholarships? How do we all afford it? Do you choose day camp or sleep away?

Camp registration time is coming up....

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:08 am
I don't think it's a necessity, but I also think that it's better than just daycare if you need to work. I still don't know what I'm going to do with my infant for the 3 weeks that daycare's closed in August. (Of course, I also don't understand why I have to pay for a full month if they're not working.) I think if you are lucky enough to be a SAHM then it's a great opportunity to spend time with your kids that you don't usually have. But I'm not yet speaking from experience.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:23 am
Unfortunately I need summer camp to work and take classes...

So for me it is Necessary.

smiley:)

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:33 am
I am in my mid twenties but when I was camp age EVERYONE went. I simply dont know how ppl afforded it. I was in the minority in not wanting to go. I went once and that was it. I think it's nice to plan family activities.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 10:10 am
It depends. If you live out of town and have almost no frum friends for your kids, it's a necessity.

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 10:13 am
I am a working sahm, my dh is a store owner and is 5 min from the house. My kids at 11 and 2x13 don't need much supervision. They do need to go to camp. The ben hazmanim they have in Israel is too much unstructured time and bad habits set in. I could not live in the 2-3 mos "vacation" forced on girls and other places even on boys. the camp rollsinteresting, fun and educational opportunities that I couldn't give them alone. W/o a car one trip to the negev or galil would cost us as much as camp. The boys come home excited and find out that older frum bachurim really know how to have fun. My boys counselor this year calls and sends them encouraging emails,etc

lst

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 10:25 am
Camp does not have to be a necessity. Local day camps are also great for kids, sleep away camp doesnt have to be the only option.
There are plenty of kids who don't want to go to sleep away camp. I never wanted to go but three of my siblings absolutely love it.
It depends on where you live also, in some places all of the kids go, but there are plenty of places where everyone goes to daycamps.
Also, there are definitely scholarships available from certain camps.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 10:26 am
Marion wrote:
I still don't know what I'm going to do with my infant for the 3 weeks that daycare's closed in August. (Of course, I also don't understand why I have to pay for a full month if they're not working.)

Because people who work in regular jobs are entitled to paid holiday.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 11:36 am
I went to summer camp a few times because my parents thought I would have fun. I have found that generally the activites aren't that interesting, the people who keep the kids are young, inexperienced and sometimes totally irresponsible, some of the kids are sent there because the parents can't stand them anymore, and the food is terrible. Not to mention how much they charge for that! Confused

To each their own, but according to what I have witnessed & heard I would never send a child that isn't a teen yet to a camp where there will be swimming or moutain stuff, for example.

I won't go into the abuse thing, we all know about it although personally I've never seen it. Sending the child with a sibling or a friend is a good idea against that.

happymom

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 12:17 pm
I think it is. As a child I looked forward to camp! I have the best memories from camp..... I think it is VERY beneficial for kids.... and I LOVED sleepover camp!

Quote:
I went to summer camp a few times because my parents thought I would have fun. I have found that generally the activites aren't that interesting, the people who keep the kids are young, inexperienced and sometimes totally irresponsible, some of the kids are sent there because the parents can't stand them anymore, and the food is terrible. Not to mention how much they charge for that!

not the camps I went to! I think under age ten is too young for sleepover camp, but over that, if its a good camp, its the best thing!

ShiraMiri

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 1:34 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
I still don't know what I'm going to do with my infant for the 3 weeks that daycare's closed in August. (Of course, I also don't understand why I have to pay for a full month if they're not working.)

Because people who work in regular jobs are entitled to paid holiday.

I completely don't agree. I am an hourly employee and only get paid the hours I work. Therefore, I get no paid time off. I pay my babysitter hourly too. She doesn't get paid when she doesn't work. I give her bonuses and the like because she is fantastic and I think she is worth the extra on her birthday and holiday time. However, she knows my policy and she lives with it. I had a daycare who decided t take off a month in the summer to go to Israel. Not only did I not pay her - I found another sitter! "Regular" jobs don't let people go off on vacations and drop all their responsibilities for a month except if you are a teacher. The rest of us working folks need to keep up with our work schedule and have reliable child care. Reliable means finding a subsitute for your daycare while you are on an extended vacation - NOT shutting down the whole time you are gone, leaving your clients in a lurch, AND expecting to get paid for the ordeal! Please!!!! Rolling Eyes

ShiraMiri

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 1:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I went to summer camp a few times because my parents thought I would have fun. I have found that generally the activites aren't that interesting, the people who keep the kids are young, inexperienced and sometimes totally irresponsible, some of the kids are sent there because the parents can't stand them anymore, and the food is terrible. Not to mention how much they charge for that! Confused

To each their own, but according to what I have witnessed & heard I would never send a child that isn't a teen yet to a camp where there will be swimming or moutain stuff, for example.

I won't go into the abuse thing, we all know about it although personally I've never seen it. Sending the child with a sibling or a friend is a good idea against that.

I am completely petrified to send a child to sleepaway camp precisely because of the abuse risk. I suppose all the talk in the news lately has made my fears worse. Even sending with a sibling is no guarantee as they will probably be in different bunks according to age. I don't want my children away from me overnight for long stretches where I don't know who will have access to my most precious gems in the world.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 10:31 am
Remember the coverage of abuse is overblown. One case is intolerable but its not like all of the schools and camps are just crawling w/pedophiles and some people talk like that,

amother

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 11:03 am
if someones worried they can alsways have a talk with thier child before camp..... and u cant keep your kids within the four walls of your home. we live in the world.... just make sure they are aware, well aducated, and u find out who thier cousolors are.....

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
u find out who thier cousolors are.....

And then? How does that help?

Mirabelle

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 7:39 pm
I went to day camp from the age of 3 until I was old enough for sleep away camp and then I went to sleep away camp every summer until I graduated from high school. Some summers were better than others but overall I loved it and I hope that my husband I can afford to send our kids as well.

ny21

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 7:57 pm
My girls went to camp ------------ at 10 years old and loved it.
you were not allowed to call home .

My son went to Camp ------------------ and loves it

that was their first time for both.

they made alot of friends .

Last edited by ny21 on Wed, Dec 27 2006, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

raizy

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:24 am
momoftwins. your kids went to the best camps. I heard and seen only great things in these two camps. the way the counsellers interact with the kids in these 2 camps is wonderfull.

ny21

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:27 am
they have since went to other camps too

and had a great time.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 10:33 pm
Marney wrote:
Therefore, I get no paid time off.

Wouldn't you like to? I bet most people would. Here in Australia, 4 weeks vacation per year is customary in all fields (not just teaching) and I think it's great.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics