Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Have you sold books to Jewish Used Books?

leomom

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:51 pm
I'm thinking of selling a bunch of books and videos to Jewish Used Books. I've bought great things from them cheap and they seem to be a growing site...

The only thing is that in order to sell your stuff, you have to ship it to them first, and then they quote you a price. That's probably fair, because they need to see the condition, etc. But before I try it, I was wondering if anyone here has sold them stuff -- and if so, what kind of prices did you get for your books, videos, tapes, whatever.

Or if anyone knows a general rule of thumb they use -- how much they mark up items they resell, etc. -- that would be helpful.

Anyone?

madys

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:39 am
Thanks for posting the link - I hate paying full price for books - this looks like a great site!

leomom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 7:39 am
It's free shipping this week, too. I tried to order but the free shipping didn't show up, so I canceled the order until I could call them today. Then this morning I got an e-mail that customers this week will receive a credit (I assume refund, not merchandise credit) for the amount of shipping.

avimom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 5:49 pm
don't want to take away someone's parnassah, just wanted to post a tip that most yeshiva teachers love getting donations of jewish books for their classrooms since they are hard to come by!

leomom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 5:53 pm
That's a good point. In the past few years, I have donated huge amounts of books to my kids' school. I don't think they'd want the ones I'm interested in selling, though. They're not kids' books; they're novels and non-fiction, mostly.

avimom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 5:59 pm
that's very nice of you

leomom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 10:52 pm
I'm checking back here to see if in the past few months anyone has tried selling their stuff to Jewish Used Books. Anyone? What kind of prices were you quoted?

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 2:25 am
I just ordered a bunch of books from them. I didn't pay more then $10 for any, and some which were not in great condition I payed $4. however if you have a book that is very rare and out of print you may get a lot of money for it. They are selling some out of print books for $100 or more! Why not call them up and speak to them, they can probably give you some sort of idea.

bashinda

Post Wed, Dec 10 2008, 6:54 pm
sorry I've been meaning to sell also but just haven't gotten around to it. I should even check that I got the shipping label from them even.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 3:01 pm
I have both bought and sold books to/from Jewishusedbooks.com. They are the most honest Internet company I have ever worked with. They will quote you a price online if you send them pictures of the books you will be sending them. By looking at the pics, they are expert enough to tell the condition of the books. For fairly new novels for which I have spent as much as 18-22 dollars, they will usually pay around $7, which is not alot, but then again I have so many books, that I need to sell them to make room for the new ones I buy. And, remember that they, too, must make a profit on what they sell. Hope this helps.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 5:56 pm
AFAIK, they're closed temporarily due to warehouse damage from Hurricane Sandy.
I have not (yet) sold to them, but I have bought from them many times.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 7:16 pm
If you purchase from them frequently, they have a nice plan where they'll give you more money for the books you sell to them, if you keep it in an account by them and use it on future purchases (I can't recall the exact percent). Or if you want the money, they promptly send a check to you upon receipt of your books. They're really honest and nice to work with.

leomom

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 1:06 am
Thanks for the more recent responses! Anyone know how they're doing now, post-Sandy?

pumpkinsbubby

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 4:56 am
I am holding onto my books for sale and I go to their website about once a week to see if they have re-opened. So far they're still closed. Does anyone know if they are planning to reopen or not? I hate to go elsewhere if I know they will reopen even in the next few months...anyone updates?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 7:33 am
Has anyone tried emailing them? I feel bad if their business was destroyed.

PB, if they don't open again, PM me, I might be interested in buying some books -- I try to get a bunch for Pesach.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 8:16 am
I did try contacting them, but the website does not let me get anywhere beyond the front screen; then the notice comes up that they are temporarily closed...does not let me send them an e-mail Sad
I would be happy to sell you books personally, they are in good/very good condition other than my name on the front inside page with my phone number...and the average book has been read about 5-10 times, mostly by my kids and grandkids. Also a few neighbors and close friends. They all know I am very fussy about no page bending and/or eating while reading.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics