Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Coworkers son died- can I buy him a cross?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 5:41 am
I don't think it's appropriate for a jew to buy a cross, even for someone else.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 11:11 am
I'm not shocked at the idea of a cross. However, I dont' think it's appropriate unless he is very openly Christian. Even then, not all Christians will wear crosses.
Also, I agree with the others that a chain is not a good idea. That's an extremely personal gift, that you buy a family member or a close friend. I wouldn't buy a female coworker a necklace, let alone a male one.

He may also feel uncomfortable with such a gift, like he has to wear it once in a while to show his appreciation.

Of course, you know him better than all of us combined, and for all we know this is the perfect gift. But in general, I would go for something a lot more neutral. Something that shows you care, but doesn't put him in an awkward position of accepting jewlery from a coworker.
I like the idea of giving charity. You could attach the note to a symbolic gift (a little plant or book, for example).
I'm not so sure about the tree thing, especially if it's to be planted in Israel. Depends on what his connection is to Israel, if any.

Anyway, I agree with the others, it is very kind of you to care so much.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics