Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Have respect for each other
Previous  1  2

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 2:57 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
There are ways to tone a question.

"I don't understand, how can it be that a rav would say that if..." is fine.
"That shows rabbonim are stupid. How could he say something like that? Women know better." is not.

The latter is happening way too frequently on this site.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Very well said.

It's generally okay to question and debate, however, the TONE of the question or debate is what demonstrates respect or lack of thereof.

Sometimes it's difficult for me to be involved in a thread where I'm debating someone who insists that a minhag is a halachah --- or the opposite, that a halachah is just a minhag. IMHO, I'm right and she's wrong, and that's the truth!

So, what Yael is essentially asking us to do, is to keep our conversations respectful, not to keep quiet. As HY, it's really about the tone of the words we use.

bbmom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:23 pm
I found this happening on 2 different threads I was involved in recently. What started out as an intellectual conversation about a certain Halacha turned into a mocking-toned making fun session. I left the thread because some people always feel like they have to have the final say and I could have explained myself until I was blue in the face and would have gotten nowhere.

chani8

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 4:06 pm
Are you referring to the intimacy thread on waiting after nursing, bbmom??

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 5:57 pm
CatLady wrote:
vicki wrote:
chani8 wrote:
Nicole wrote:
hear, hear!
Wait, is it "hear" or "here"? I never thought of that...

Hear, here!!

I'm pretty sure it's "hair, hair!".

I don't cover, but if I did, it'd be hair, hair LOL LOL

You are all wrong.

It is Hare, hare, in memory of the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland.

So there. Their. They're.

chilled

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 6:44 pm
bbmom wrote:
I found this happening on 2 different threads I was involved in recently. What started out as an intellectual conversation about a certain Halacha turned into a mocking-toned making fun session. I left the thread because some people always feel like they have to have the final say and I could have explained myself until I was blue in the face and would have gotten nowhere.

which threads are you referring to?

bbmom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 8:11 pm
I'd rather not state it here mostly because I don't want to get into it again on this thread. You can pm me if you're curious. Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 2:40 am
I'd like to add, if you think someone is a troll, contact a mod and let her check it out.

Posting "I smell a troll!" can be very hurtful to the OP, especially if they are looking for advise on a very sensitive subject. Do report things that seem odd, but keep the public mocking out of it. It just creates a hostile environment for everyone.

For many of us, this may be the only place we feel we can go to share our pains, so let's keep this a safe place!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 7:20 am
In the spirit of showing respect, we should ban any posting of mock chopped liver recipes. Show some kavod to the real liver.

Sherri

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 12:37 am
Is there a way to enforce this policy?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 8:52 pm
Sherri wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. There was a post that was reported a couple of days ago that insulted anyone who thinks we need to keep certain Halachos. As a result, the language got cleaned up a little, but the insult remained unchanged, and I'm not sure why, after this announcement.

Sherri

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 10:00 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Sherri wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. There was a post that was reported a couple of days ago that insulted anyone who thinks we need to keep certain Halachos. As a result, the language got cleaned up a little, but the insult remained unchanged, and I'm not sure why, after this announcement.
Yup. You read my mind.

wereafamily

Post Tue, Jan 22 2013, 11:44 pm
FranticFrummie: "See that blue button down there? The one with the WWW on it? CLICK IT!"

Like! You got me to click Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics