Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you buy clothes on ebay?
Previous  1  2

spring13

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:07 pm
Wow, thank you all for the info - it seems like certain preferences are very common, and easy for me to account for - brand name items, low prices, multiple pictures and measurement info. I'm happy to hear of any other experiences or ideas that anyone has, but I really appreciate these responses.

Right now I'm just getting my feet wet as a seller. I sell/trade items more casually on other websites (Ravelry, Diaperswappers), and I've sold books and CDs on Half.com, so I'm not a total newbie. But I recently posted a huge bunch of skirts on Diaperswappers and have gotten a lot of interest. Growing up out of town, I remember how hard it could be to buy long-enough skirts in regular stores, and new ones in Brooklyn could be terribly expensive. So if/when I open a store, I'm thinking of "specializing" in skirts, and then making some attempts to advertise to frum communities, and religious communities in general (I know christian and muslim women who also look for them). Any opinions on that concept?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:24 pm
I don't know what the market is for tznius and modest in the description, but I have gotten GREAT stuff by searching for that on ebay. I'm willing to pay more if I know it's a frum style -- I don't need to sew up slits, wear a shell underneath because the collar is good, etc.

spring13

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:29 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't know what the market is for tznius and modest in the description, but I have gotten GREAT stuff by searching for that on ebay. I'm willing to pay more if I know it's a frum style -- I don't need to sew up slits, wear a shell underneath because the collar is good, etc.

You search for things like "modest skirt" or "modest sweater"? I'd love to know how to attract your attention!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:34 pm
Yes. I start with tznius or tzniut if I have something in particular I want, and there is usually only a handful of items so it takes me 3 seconds to see if anything is worth pursuing there. If so, I have saved time. If not, I search for modest...

I've actually gotten a gown like that to wear to siblings' chassunahs...it was from a frum seller.

My Shabbos skirt is also from an ebay seller, a chassidish woman whom I linked to in an email to my mother who bought a suit from her.

I've gotten a shabbos robe for my daughter that way...

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:40 pm
MimiMommy wrote:
For me, free shipping is a big consideration! I usually filter out items by "free shipping only".

I have a few items on ebay right now... I always always always offer "Free shipping" which everyone knows is not actually free, but it just means that you are including shipping in the price. It makes it much easier for international buyers and also, I think when you're selling a low-priced item, people have an aversion to paying shipping that costs as much as the item itself (even though they logically know that shipping costs money)

IMO, Selling a book for $4 with $4 shipping will attract less buyers than selling a book for $8 which includes free shipping. I'm sure it's a psychological thing.

mommy of boys

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:49 pm
ewa-jo wrote:
MimiMommy wrote:
For me, free shipping is a big consideration! I usually filter out items by "free shipping only".

everyone knows is not actually free, but it just means that you are including shipping in the price. It makes it much easier for international buyers and also, .

I hate selling free shipping especially to international buyers, why should I pay tripple the shipping because you live so far from me? I either dont sell international or I change shipping for international.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 1:52 pm
mommy of boys wrote:
ewa-jo wrote:
MimiMommy wrote:

everyone knows is not actually free, but it just means that you are including shipping in the price. It makes it much easier for international buyers and also, .

I hate selling free shipping especially to international buyers, why should I pay tripple the shipping because you live so far from me? I either dont sell international or I change shipping for international.

I live in Israel. Shipping to anywhere not in Israel costs me practically the same thing. Actually, shipping to Europe is cheaper than shipping to the US. Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 2:11 pm
Yeah the kindle book also said he only offers free shipping.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 4:17 pm
ewa-jo wrote:
MimiMommy wrote:

I have a few items on ebay right now... I always always always offer "Free shipping" which everyone knows is not actually free, but it just means that you are including shipping in the price. It makes it much easier for international buyers and also, I think when you're selling a low-priced item, people have an aversion to paying shipping that costs as much as the item itself (even though they logically know that shipping costs money)

IMO, Selling a book for $4 with $4 shipping will attract less buyers than selling a book for $8 which includes free shipping. I'm sure it's a psychological thing.

Free shipping also pushes your listing higher in search results.

Merrymom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2013, 2:07 pm
MimiMommy wrote:

It's really not worth it to shop this way as the shipping price is factored into the price. It's better to filter your search results from "price, lowest to highest plus shipping". This way you really get to see who really has the least expensive products.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 18 2013, 9:54 am
That's what I do. Also, if you buy multiple things from the same seller without free shipping, you may be able to get combined shipping, make the price per item even less.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 8:08 pm
If the measurements aren't in the description you can always contact the seller and ask.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics