Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to do with a huge celery?
Previous  1  2

batya_d

Post Fri, Nov 03 2006, 4:35 pm
GR wrote:
chen, you can really freeze celery? shock I would think it would get ruined in the freezer. Question

I'd also like some confirmation on this-- I figured it would become ruined when froze, like lettuce does, and any other vegetable that contains a lot of water in its cells-- the water expands when frozen, the cells explode, and you get limp, glassy-looking lettuce. I always assumed celery would be the same.

I will try wrapping it in foil, however, nice idea. It does get limp quickly. Storing celery sticks upright in a cup of water also keeps them crisp and fresh.

klotzkashe

Post Sat, Nov 04 2006, 5:07 am
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts.
the reason why I got a huge celery even though I have no idea what to do with it, is that I get these fruit orders for $40 where they give you a whole bunch of stuff worth about $80. So it's worth it money-wise if you're the type of person that can cook w/ any ingredient.

normally I can, but celery stumps me!

thanks again!

batya_d

Post Sat, Nov 04 2006, 10:57 pm
klotzkashe wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts.
the reason why I got a huge celery even though I have no idea what to do with it, is that I get these fruit orders for $40 where they give you a whole bunch of stuff worth about $80. So it's worth it money-wise if you're the type of person that can cook w/ any ingredient.

I've never heard of a "fruit order"-- what do you do, call the store, tell them what you want, and it gets delivered? Does this exist in Manhattan or only in more heimishe neighborhoods? It sounds like a great deal, since I'm constantly running out multiple times a week to get fruits and veggies.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Nov 04 2006, 11:06 pm
Maybe the orig poster can give it to batya at a Meet.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 1:35 am
Slight problem: Customs regulations ;-)

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 4:02 am
I live in Australia. There is a company here that sources F & V each week and they make up orders (to their liking) to send out to pple who 'subscribe.' every week I get a $40 order and I get abt $80 worth of F&V for only forty bucks. the reason why it is so cheap is that they do not stock EVERYTHING and then have to throw away stock that pple don't buy. so they give you the basics Cucumbers, tomatoes, onions potatoes and they pick the rest

so this week, I got a celery.

withhumor

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 8:52 pm
freeze it, I then throw it in to a soup when I'm warming it up from the freezer. a fresh celery stick gives new life to freezer food .

anuta

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 10:27 pm
I hate celery, I never buy it. I would swap it with somebody for some carrots.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics