Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Finding a job while pregnant

amother

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 7:11 pm
help! I'm in my 6th month, a sahm, b"h, but we could really use an extra income, is it possible to find a job now? would anyone hire me at this point? or is there something I can do from home?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 5:33 pm
Firstly, it would greatly depend on what you're planning to do.
Secondly, what is your plan--start now till when? Are you planning to come back after birth? How long of maternity leave are you planning to take?

You can certainly start looking for a job, but you'd better have answers esp on the second point. Also assuming you're already showing, you may want to be proactive and tell them up front you're pregnant and your work plan.

Beshaa tova.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 8:00 pm
I found a job when I was pregnant. I am a computer programmer, and the job was working for the Transit Police. I interviewed in my 5th month and 7th month. Started working a week before I was due. What G-d doesn't want them to see, they didn't see!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 8:00 pm
I found a job when I was pregnant. I am a computer programmer, and the job was working for the Transit Police. I interviewed in my 5th month and 7th month. Started working a week before I was due. What G-d doesn't want them to see, they didn't see!

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:56 pm
I got a job while I was pregnant, interviewed in the 7th month, started in the beginning of my 8th, so I got in 2 months of work before baby. I was fully showing by interview, and very open that I'll be out 6-8 weeks after. They hired me anyways, so I guess they didn't mind.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:05 am
I find it immoral to look for a job when you're pregnant unless they're hiring you on a temporary basis (a substitute teacher can make alot of money for example). How would you feel if you were the business owner and just thought your new employee was overweight (yes, some men really are clueless)? It's very hard to train in a new employee and they could be finding someone else who isn't going to need so much time off.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:23 am
Merrymom - with your reasoning, maybe we should get permission from our bosses anytime we want to have a baby. It might be hard for them to manage the business without us.

As long as you're planning to come back after the maternity leave, I see nothing immoral.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:29 am
The problem is that you are hiring someone to fill a vacancy. You finally find somone, and then very shortly after hiring them, you are right back to having a vacancy since your "new hire" is out on maternity leave.

The worst is when the woman isn't even honest until after they are hired! You should be upfront during the interview. My DH runs a business and this happened once. He hesitates to hire women now.

Merrymom

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:30 am
amother wrote:
Merrymom - with your reasoning, maybe we should get permission from our bosses anytime we want to have a baby. It might be hard for them to manage the business without us.

As long as you're planning to come back after the maternity leave, I see nothing immoral.

Bosses are aware of that possibility, but at the very least that would be 9 months off which is plenty of time to get settled in and arrange to have things running smoothly while you're away. It isn't fair to hide a pregnancy knowing that you'll be leaving almost as soon as you're finally getting the rhythm of the place.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:34 am
Good luck with that Very Happy

maybe babysitting or taking over for someone else who is on a SHORT maternity leave.

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 10:57 am
Merrymom wrote:
amother wrote:

Bosses are aware of that possibility, but at the very least that would be 9 months off which is plenty of time to get settled in and arrange to have things running smoothly while you're away. It isn't fair to hide a pregnancy knowing that you'll be leaving almost as soon as you're finally getting the rhythm of the place.

well bosses dont have 9 months to figure something out.

You dont legally have to tell a boss until I think I read somewhere 30 days?? more accepted is minimally 3 months if I remember correctly. of course fox would say you should let them know by the time you are 3 months. but either way in general lets assume a boss has 4-5 months to plan for it if the "come out" when showing.

I have a friend that interviewed in her last trimester and was told to come back after she ready for a real job. not so legal I think... but shes applied to those places now. but if they had hired her she would would have been very upfront about it.

I think the correct way to do it is not to bring it up at an interview (unless they are not clueless of course and bring it up themselves) but to tell them before you accept a job offer.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 12:17 pm
you need to be lucky to be hired now. maybe a temp job is more appropriate.
if you dont plan on a career, you want a temp anyway.
schools are a good place for short term jobs.
I would think its unfair to get hired without letting them know, and then they are obligated to pay you maternity benefits. it makes frum people look bad, taking advantage of the system.

still some honest people out there, we should all strive to be.

smss

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 12:33 pm
op, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying. I know people who were hired in late pregnancy, even though their bosses knew they were pregnant. it's not impossible.
in some places it's the law that you have to tell an employer at a certain point, maybe found out if that applies where you live.

taking over someone's maternity leave is a good idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics