Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How often do you grocery shop?
Previous  1  2  3

zigi

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 12:26 pm
thanks for the warning about teens, my kids are still in the single digits. but a box of frozen pizza doesn't feed everyone any more. now pizza night is 20$ or cheaper if I buy on sale

I bought a block of cheese 2 weeks ago now we are more than halfway finished. last year it took a whole month to finish it.

milk we go through a bottle a day and a box a day of cereal if everyone is at home for the day

granolamom

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 1:58 pm
chani8 wrote:
You're motivating me to get organized again. I used to have a two week menu plan. Then I would only need one big shopping spree every other week. Of course, milk and bread and veggies required mid-week stops at the makolet.

I just can't imagine being that organized again, though. It's the teenagers. They just grab food and eat whatever they see, whenever they feel like it. I don't even bother trying to plan anything anymore.

How do you manage being organized with teens around????

I feel your pain.
once my big kids got independent enough to prepare food, I find it impossible to stay organized. last night my ds realized he likes red pepper, so he cut up two. so much for my plan for quinoa salad. my dd found the pine nuts and devoured them, which didnt matter anymore since they were for the same salad. two younger ones saw me cutting up cucumbers for my chopped salad and suddenly had cucumber cravings, so I had to go back to the store this AM.

I learned an interesting tip from my sil who has 6 teens. she doesnt cook 'for dinner'. she cooks every day to 'stock the fridge'. so there's always a few soups, trays of chicken or meatballs, a lasagne or baked ziti, tuna salad, tossed salad fixings, etc in her fridge. the kids take and eat as teens sometimes do and its fine. she does prepare 'dinner' every night for herself and her dh, sometimes the kids join them, sometimes not. she doesnt set out to 'cook for the kids dinner' anymore. only exception is shabbos, she has one area of the fridge which is 'for shabbos' and everyone knows anything there is off-limits.
I keep saying I have to try this, I think it will work well for my picky eaters.

and to answer the OP question, I am in the grocery store at least twice weekly. I have nothing left after shabbos and by wed/thurs I need stuff for shabbos again. produce just doesnt last that long in my fridge.

chani8

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 12:44 pm
LOL! Thanks Granolamom! You describe exactly what happens in my house.

And your SIL is brilliant. I will try her method. I actually do it already for one child who is allergic to dairy, so I understand the concept. But it's really, exactly what I need to do for all the teens.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 12:52 pm
My problem with shopping more than once a week is that it tends to add up because I find I buy more than I really wanted to....

granolamom

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 7:11 pm
Tamiri wrote:
My problem with shopping more than once a week is that it tends to add up because I find I buy more than I really wanted to....

I shop from a list. religiously. If I see something I want I will put it on my next list (I keep the lists on my phone so its easy to do right there). usually by the time I am ready to shop again, the impulse items are no longer interesting to me and I delete them from the list.

of course this doesnt work if I have kids with me. taking kids along increases my shopping bill from 10-20%

rowo

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 7:59 pm
Oh wow, teenagers...
The oldest of my three kids is 5 and I can hardly keep up with the food. Either it's bc they are home all day on holidays now or we're going thru some eating transition but lately I've been feeling that unjust cant keep up with the food intake. Think I need to re-adjust my shopping, but I just find it hard to spend even more money in one shot...
But to answer the question of how many times a week - I WISH I could just do one big shop. But here everything is a different store. One for meat and chicken, one for fish, one for dairy stuff (could get that elsewhere but it would be more expensive) one for fruit and veg, the kosher store and the supermarket... We've cut out wheat so that has cut out the bakery stop. Then we do Costco once every few months.
Shopping is exhausting ! And my 12 month old would not be very happy if I schlepped him to all those stores in one day.

granolamom

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 8:49 pm
rowo wrote:
Oh wow, teenagers...
The oldest of my three kids is 5 and I can hardly keep up with the food. Either it's bc they are home all day on holidays now or we're going thru some eating transition but lately I've been feeling that unjust cant keep up with the food intake. Think I need to re-adjust my shopping, but I just find it hard to spend even more money in one shot...
But to answer the question of how many times a week - I WISH I could just do one big shop. But here everything is a different store. One for meat and chicken, one for fish, one for dairy stuff (could get that elsewhere but it would be more expensive) one for fruit and veg, the kosher store and the supermarket... We've cut out wheat so that has cut out the bakery stop. Then we do Costco once every few months.
Shopping is exhausting ! And my 12 month old would not be very happy if I schlepped him to all those stores in one day.

do you have a large freezer? you could probably do meat/chicken every other week and freeze. same with dairy. that's what I did when my kids were little. I am lucky, the kosher stores here stock everything and are comparably priced to regular supermarkets. but even so, there's the once/month costco shopping and some things I get from trader joe's (also once/month or so). I am lucky if I have more than one or two shopping-free days per week.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 8:49 pm
I try to make one big shop a week but some weeks it is 10 small ones since I am always forgetting something or start cooking/baking and realize I am out of something.

It also takes us time to finish big things like cheese, milk, cereal etc but I can go through 4lbs of sugar and 3containers of marg in a day if I decide to bake!

SJcookie

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 9:47 pm
I go shopping once a week - usually on thursday evening. I've found that my produce stays more fresh throughout the week when I buy it "l'kavod Shabbat".

I have a standard list (fruits/veggies, bread, chicken, yogurt, etc.) and then I add items if needed for a specific recipe or occassion.
But then again...baruch HaShem, I have two growing boys to feed. One of them is my husband Very Happy

OheivYisrael

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 9:58 pm
I can't plan menus- DH won't want it if he's not in the mood for it that day. At this point, he makes dinner for everyone. I have no idea what the coming week will bring. I get home as everyone is eating/finishing dinner.

I don't have time to shop more than once a week. That alone is a struggle. We used to live in a neighborhood where I could get everything I needed in the kosher supermarket, for decent prices. Now I have to go to the kosher store for dairy and chicken/meat and challah, but elsewhere for the basic dry goods (chain supermarket)- so I go every 1-2 weeks and stock up majorly on the nonperishables (and get produce if I'm there anyway, otherwise, the kosher store has a nice selection although a bit more pricey). I basically know the items that we go through regularly, and make sure that we are fully stocked with the important ingredients and fall-back foods. If we run out of something, oh well. I'll get it next time.

We do have ample storage now, so I try to have replace anything that we are low on. But I really don't have the option of driving myself crazy to have everything- I don't even go to costco anymore because I just can't squeeze in another store. I shudder to think what things will be like with teens- although we do live close enough to the store to send them!

rowo

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 12:59 am
Yes B'H before tishrei we invested in a large chest freezer. I do not like the schlepping around and really try to minimize it, so I definitely don't go to the butcher every week, and keep some milk in the freezer. And we don't have fish every week so I don't do the fish shop that often either.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics