Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Why would a man have a different surname from his mother?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:18 pm
his mother is 92 so I find it unlikely that she was not married

Cookies n Cream

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:20 pm
She remarried after having him and uses her 2nd husband's last name.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:21 pm
Seriously? He probably has his fathers last name and she probably remarried at some point (for whatever reason) and took on her new husbands last name. Very common.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:21 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
She remarried after having him and uses her 2nd husband's last name.

Exactly. (posted at the same time as you earlier)

happy chick

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:22 pm
what does her age have to do with whether or not she was married 60 years ago? which, if she wasnt married, maybe the son carries his fathers name. if she was married, maybe she never took on her husband's name. rather unlikely, but maybe its his mothers/grandmother maiden name to carry on the family name. other than that, no clue

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:22 pm
1. The mother could have kept her maiden name.
2. The mother could have divorced and changed back to her maiden name.
3. The man could have been adopted.
4. The man could have been her step son.
5. One of them could have changed their surname (esp if aliya or moving to another country).

Possible explanation I can think of straight away.

P.S. My DS has a different surname from mine, legally speaking.

winter_rose

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:26 pm
My nieces have a different surname from my brother and their mother. They decided to give them my mom's maiden name because her only brother had no children.

marshmellow

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:31 pm
Most likely, the lady has been married twice - she had this son with the first husband, and since a child takes the surname of his/her father, he has the same surname as this man, his father.
When the lady remarried, she took the name of her 2nd husband. Son has no reason to do so. Therefore they have different surnames.
Nothing unusual about things. For some people the 2nd marriage is the right one.

Jughead

Post Sat, Feb 02 2013, 10:52 pm
winter_rose wrote:
My nieces have a different surname from my brother and their mother. They decided to give them my mom's maiden name because her only brother had no children.

huh?

Barbara

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 12:36 am
amother wrote:
his mother is 92 so I find it unlikely that she was not married

Shockingly enough, kids were born out of wedlock back in those days, too.

He changed his name.

She remarried (perhaps even when he was already an adult) and he kept his father's name.

She never used her husband's name.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 12:45 am
Maybe he took his wife's name when he married.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 3:07 am
As many people posted, the most obvious and common reason would be that she remarried at some point and took her second husband's name. My grandfather remarried after my grandmother died of cancer. His second wife was a widow, and she took his name. All her kids were already married -- there was no reason for any of them to change their name. Why would they? My grandfather and his wife recently celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary. Very Happy

But there could be many other reasons as well. Have they always lived in America? At some point in my family tree kids took on their mother's last name because in the area of Russia in which they lived it was not simple for Jews to marry legally. They obviously married via chupa vkiddushin, but as far as the government was concerned, their children were born "out of wedlock" and were given the mother's last name on legal documents. This obviously does not explain your scenario, but who knows what sort of other factors may have contributed to various name games.

wif

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 4:36 am
My husband and his mother have different last names. When she divorced she reverted to her maiden name.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 8:43 am
She is from Quebec? I understand that ones legal name doesn't change for marriage as a rule. Even if she goes by the married name socially, legally she keeps her maiden name, no?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 8:47 am
Why is this any of your business? You are speculating publicly in matters that don't concern you at all. My husband had a different surname than his mother's and it is none of your business why. You are a bunch of yentas.

granolamom

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
Why is this any of your business? You are speculating publicly in matters that don't concern you at all. My husband had a different surname than his mother's and it is none of your business why. You are a bunch of yentas.

welcome to imamother Smile

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 9:08 am
granolamom wrote:
amother wrote:

welcome to imamother Smile

a.k.a. "imayenta"

Gerbera

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 9:10 am
My kids don't have my last name - I never changed my name legally and never use my husbands last name...and yes, as a poster above mentioned - in Quebec legally a woman has to keep her maiden name and the married name is used only socially but not legally such as banking, bills, contracts, etc. (I don't live in Quebec)

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 10:57 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
She is from Quebec? I understand that ones legal name doesn't change for marriage as a rule. Even if she goes by the married name socially, legally she keeps her maiden name, no?

well she was born in Germany but I am only wondering and just don't want to ask my friend himself that's all

MrsDash

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 11:05 am
I don't have the same last name as my mother. My child doesn't have the same last name as me. Not sure what the big deal is.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette