Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do I pay my cleaning lady if I cancel?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 6:40 pm
What's the etiquette on paying a regular cleaning woman if you cancel on one occasion (and give advance notice?)

For the past 6 months, I have a woman come for 3 hrs every Tuesday. Last week I wasn't going to be home so I told her a week beforehand that I would be canceling. Does proper etiquette dictate that I pay her anyways for that skipped week since she has a regular time slot for me? Or is it not expected?

(This happened with her once a few months ago and I did pay her for the week that I cancelled because I felt bad. But I don't want to do it every time this happens if it's not expected)

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 6:43 pm
Yes, if it's a steady you should pay her.

Waffles

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 7:22 pm
Or, instead of cancelling try to reschedule for another day that same week if she has a slot open. This way she gets paid but you get a service done.

b from nj

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 7:27 pm
I think that if you give her advance notice & it doesn't happen often then it's ok not to pay her or try to reschedule as was mentioned above.

Liba

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:16 am
If she cancels I don't pay. If I cancel I pay.

If she can come a different day, wonderful.

smiledr

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:19 am
U cancelled u pay. She's dependably on that income.

allrgymama

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:45 am
I don't agree. It's an as-needed job. It doesn't even count as part-time (such as, you have her twice a week for the entire day) and you haven't even employed her that long.

My cleaning lady tried to get me to commit to this when she started (I was warned in advance) and I told her straight out that I wouldn't do it. I explained that I am 'hiring' her because I need her help and I need her to clean, so I am not going to cancel on her unless it is very important/an emergency and if I'm in middle of something very important/an emergency, I don't want to be busy worrying about paying her for work she didn't do -- nevermind that I can't afford to pay someone for work they didn't do.

I always ask: would the flipside be fair? Meaning, if she suddenly cancels, would she work for you for free to make up for it?

mamommommy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 7:55 am
We don't pay if we cancel. It's per diem work, meaning that she only gets paid for the hours she works.

I've had a few cleaning ladies over the years and none ever had an issue with this (or if they did, they never said anything). Of course, we rarely cancel...

syrima

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 8:03 am
if you give advance notice, then she could line up other work for that day. I don't think you need to pay.
The only time I paid the cleaning lady when she didn't come was the week of sandy.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 8:09 am
allrgymama wrote:
I don't agree. It's an as-needed job. It doesn't even count as part-time (such as, you have her twice a week for the entire day) and you haven't even employed her that long.

My cleaning lady tried to get me to commit to this when she started (I was warned in advance) and I told her straight out that I wouldn't do it. I explained that I am 'hiring' her because I need her help and I need her to clean, so I am not going to cancel on her unless it is very important/an emergency and if I'm in middle of something very important/an emergency, I don't want to be busy worrying about paying her for work she didn't do -- nevermind that I can't afford to pay someone for work they didn't do.

I always ask: would the flipside be fair? Meaning, if she suddenly cancels, would she work for you for free to make up for it?

I think that's terribly unfair, and you should not be surprised if she quits to work for someone else as soon as she finds another position.

"As needed" means that there is no definite time. You give her a call and say "are you free at all this week?" She answers yes or no.

Once you tell someone "every Tuesday afternoon," its a regular gig, and she should be paid for it.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 8:12 am
mamommommy wrote:
We don't pay if we cancel. It's per diem work, meaning that she only gets paid for the hours she works.

I've had a few cleaning ladies over the years and none ever had an issue with this (or if they did, they never said anything). Of course, we rarely cancel...

So can I assume that if she gave you a call and said "someone just offered me a lot more money for that slot this week; I'll be there next week," you'd be fine with that. After all, its not regular employment, its per diem, and you're not paying her for the time she doesn't work.

And if that call happened to be the week before Pesach, you wouldn't complain, and would welcome her the next week. After all, its not like it's a regular job.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 9:14 am
you cancel - you pay. she has reserved that spot for you and is dependent on that income. things are very tight with me so what I do is offer a choice. I say I will be away but you can come anyway (she has a key) or if you want to take a day off you can do that. In the latter case I don't pay her, but I leave the choice up to her. even if I am away there is always cleaning to be done and frankly I would prefer her to come, but sometimes people want a break so I leave it up to her.

I would also mention that those of you who said you don't pay her when you cancel - good cleaning help is hard to find. aren't you concerned she may leave?

mamommommy

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 9:32 am
Barbara wrote:
mamommommy wrote:

So can I assume that if she gave you a call and said "someone just offered me a lot more money for that slot this week; I'll be there next week," you'd be fine with that. After all, its not regular employment, its per diem, and you're not paying her for the time she doesn't work.

And if that call happened to be the week before Pesach, you wouldn't complain, and would welcome her the next week. After all, its not like it's a regular job.

That has happened to me before (and no, not after I cancelled without paying) and of course, that is her right. I was not happy about it, but then I also had the right to find someone new if I didn't like it. I think it's just the nature of that type of work.

The only people I know who pay their cleaning ladies/housekeepers when they cancel are those who pay by the week, and not by the hour. More of a salary situation vs. an hourly job.

I once worked as a consultant for a school (per diem work) and they had promised me a certain number of hours a week. Quite often, they did not give me the hours that they had promised, and I never got paid more than the hours I worked (and I never expected to be paid for hours that I didn't work even though I had carved out time every week for this job). Since it happened quite regularly, I stopped working with them. If it had only happened once in a blue moon, I probably would have dealt with it, since the work and pay was otherwise good. It's just the nature of these arrangements.

nyer1

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 12:16 pm
It's very tricky. I posted about this awhile ago about my babysitter... If she is paid hourly, what is the payment obligation. For example, I am a teacher, so on the legal holidays like Martin Luther king day, am I supposed to pay her? Baruch Hashem, we worked out a system, but I was very nervous about it.

I would say,try to see if anyone in your neighborhood needs her , or give her the opportunity to make up the time. But put yourself in her shoes... She is relying on x amount of money to pay her rent each week, and if she misses out on your x amount that you usually pay, she has to scramble to make ends meet. If you are a once in a while customer and you need to to cancel, cancel at least a week ahead and then I don't think you would have to pay

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Feb 04 2013, 10:07 pm
I dont get paid when I dont work regardless of whether its my fault or my bosses fault. that is the downside of being an hourly employee.

if she were a housekeeper and got a weekly wage- that would be a different story.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry