Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Normal age to night train

What age should you insist your boy is out of diapers at nightÉ
 0%  [ 0 ]
 35%  [ 5 ]
 28%  [ 4 ]
 21%  [ 3 ]
 7%  [ 1 ]
 7%  [ 1 ]
 0%  [ 0 ]
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

mommyof2boys

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 6:04 pm
What age did your son night trainÉ

How do I know he is readyÉ

My 3.4 year old has been fay trained for about 5 months and has been doing great. We let him go with the flow and just before 3 he did it with no problems. doing number 2 took an extra 3 months (he would ask for a diaper, or become constipated, or wait until nap or bedtime to do it in the diaper) but I gave him a chance to be ready on his own (with mild nudging) and he does it beautifully now. no accidents. but he is still in a pull up at night and it is soaked in the morning. is this because he knows he `can`or because he is just not readyÉ

I keep reading about all these 6-8 year olds still not night trained and im worried. is it a physical thing they are going through or can I prevent it by just forcing him out of diapers at nightÉ. but so far what has worked with this child is patience and not pushing until he gave obvious signs on being ready. did these mothers just put on diapers at night for an extended time and now its has become a problemÉ

what is the age that you just must say this is too oldÉ

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 6:06 pm
I nighttrain a week after I day train. They don't take any bottles to bed so makes it easier. The longer you wait the harder it is.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 7:46 pm
I didn't make a separate thing out of it. As soon as I put DD into underpants she slept with them too. And she sleeps with and drinks from a sippy cup.

But she was waking up dry most days for a few weeks before I started training her. I guess each kid is really different. DD has amazing powers of holding it.

Once she had an accident at night because she was wearing a onesie and thought she was wearing a pamper. No more onesies after that! But what I learned is, kids will take advantage of the situation...she sure hated getting all wet and having to be changed in middle of the night and had very few accidents at night overall. But again I think it's really an individual thing.

mommy of boys

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 8:11 pm
my ds didnt want diapers at night once he was trained by day so I promised him that if he stays dry that night in a diaper then he can sleep with his underpants the following night.
Bh it worked for him and even though he had an occasional accident he got used to it much quicker than if he'd be in diapers till he stays dry all the time.
Good LuckE!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 8:16 pm
I did not train my boys at the same time day and night.

I'm actually going through training with my daughter and semi doing night training and it's all new to me since I never really trained my boys

with my boys I would tell them that when they had 3 dry diapers in a row in the morning we'd go to target and they could pick ANY TOY THEY WANT (my son used to say he wanted a "big car" and I thought I would have to buy a motorized car that a child sits in, and in the end, he just wanted a big car that he would have to carry with 2 hands).

I dont believe in pull ups, I think they are confusing. To them a diaper is for babies, so even though they are wearing it only at night, it's something they'll want to get away from.

I kept my sons in diapers and would check it every morning with them. I'd encourage them when I found a dry diaper, but would say "oh its, okay we'll try again" when the 3rd morning their diapers were wet. Once I saw 3 clean diapers we went cold turkey. This method worked for them.

A friend tried to convince me to train my daughter at night at the same time as day. we had a few bad days and we were all getting frustrated so I put her back in diapers at night (I know, may have been a mistake cause it's confusing.) This morning she woke up with a dry diaper and tonight she asked to go to bed without a diaper so we'll see what happens with her.

mother of boyz

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 8:19 pm
If bedwetting is not a genetic issue in the family than I would say its best to do night and day together . My pediatrician told me not to worry up to age 8. I'm trying to train ds 8 1/2 but I hear technically its not a 'medical' issue till teenage years! Oh well

EvenI

Post Mon, Feb 11 2013, 10:50 pm
My 5 yr old boy has been day trained since he was 3 and not worn a diaper at night since he was about 3.5 or 4 (don't remember exactly) but he is not really night trained. We are still taking him to the bathroom once every night and that doesn't help every night. There are a lot of nights when his bed gets wet. I don't know when the saga will end.

gold21

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 7:25 am
My 4.5 year old still wears a pull up at nite

Doesn't bother me at all

MamaBear

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 7:32 am
Patience. I put a diaper on them til they wake up dry for one full month. This has worked with 3 kids and usually age 5 is when it falls into place on its own. No waking them up at night to go, no accidents, nothing. But if you don't want a diaper on an older kid, then you have to do night training. I'd just rather do the diaper thing than deal with extra night wakings and wet sheets. Around age 5 is when they were physically very ready so it just happened on its own.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 8:31 am
I don't have boys, so my advice may not apply exactly...

We let DD night train herself, essentially. Day training her was easy because she was able to control herself and get to the bathroom when she needed to. We didn't want to push the night training because she really didn't have control over her body while she was sleeping. We put her in pull-ups and encouraged her to use the bathroom if she could. We kept a drawer full of clean pull-ups in the bathroom, so if she woke up at night with a damp pull-up, she could change herself.
If she woke up dry in the morning, we praised her. If not, we didn't make a big deal out of it. If she complained about the pull-ups not being so comfortable, we would point out that wearing panties at night would be soooo much better.
We promised her that if she had one complete week of dry pull-ups, then that would be it. It took a while. Sometimes she would have 2-3 nights in a row of being dry, but the next morning she'd have a soaking wet pull-up again. She finally had a whole week of dry pull-ups when she was about 4 and a half. She's had only 2 accidents since then. The first time she woke up crying, but I calmed her down and changed her. The second time I didn't even know about it until the morning when I found her pajama bottoms hung up to dry over a railing.

So I would advise letting your son train himself when he is ready. Provide lots of encouragement and incentives, but don't put a lot of pressure on him.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training