Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Wood laminate or ceramic tile?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 8:57 am
I am redoing my kitchen and trying to decide between Pergo wood laminate and ceramic tile. I prefer the look of the Pergo wood laminate, but I am worried about how it holds up, washes, etc.

Anyone with any experience or opinion on this? If you have a wood laminate floor, can you tell me how old it is, how you care for it, and how it is holding up?

Thanks!

yaakovsmom

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 12:09 pm
I had Pergo in my kitchen and it held up very well, except for the spot where I dropped a steak knife and it pierced the floor (but ceramic tile might've cracked). It was easy to keep clean and looked nice.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 12:14 pm
With wood laminate, make sure there's no seepage. Ceramic tile's supposed to be not just klutz friendly but also uncomfortable to stand on.

wwmom

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 12:16 pm
I wanted to do laminate when we did our kitchen year 5 years ago, but was advised against it. so I went with ceramic tile, and I can't stand it. Everything that touches it cracs, and a lot of the tiles themselves cracked. Not too mention that laminate looks so much nicer, and is much easier to clean.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:25 pm
Believe it or not, we did a linoleum recently. Very different from our old linoleum. Holding up well and looks like terra cotta, a bit retro.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:34 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
With wood laminate, make sure there's no seepage. Ceramic tile's supposed to be not just klutz friendly but also uncomfortable to stand on.

How do you make sure there is no seepage?

Anyone out there who has laminate wood for a long time? Everyone happy with it?

Thanks,
op

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:35 pm
Have you actually checked what the base flooring is? If it's sub-flooring such as plywood you have no choice but to cover it. But often it's actually real wood. If it's the latter you can have it sanded and then coat with a couple of layers of polyurethane.

As others have said ceramic tiles can be tedious on weary feet, especially erev shabbos and yom tov when there is a lot of cooking. Not to mention the 'klutz' factor where everything that touches it breaks. Also not good if you have little ones that fall a lot. It also retains the cold so not much fun if you like hanging around barefoot.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:52 pm
Excellent points, Thanks. I know all the reasons why I don't want ceramic, but I don't want to put in all that money if the laminate doesn't hold up well. And yeah, the floor underneath is plywood, but that would have been a nice surprise....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics