Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Easy Laham B'ajeen?

MimiMommy

Post Sat, Sep 24 2011, 9:55 pm
Anybody have an easy, "ashkenazified" recipe? I was looking at the one from Poopa Dweck, want to make it, but can't find tamarind extract or allspice and I don't have time shlep around to different stores. I've had it at people's houses that they claimed was an easy recipe, just with puff pastry and a sweet sauce or something -- anybody?

September June

Post Sat, Sep 24 2011, 10:01 pm
Some stores sell a Lahmagene sauce- all you have to do is mix it with the meat and put it on the dough.

Also, instead of the tamarind extract, you can use prune butter and skip the allspice. It still should come out good.

greeneyes

Post Sat, Sep 24 2011, 10:12 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

Yum! I make this about once a week lately on squares of whole wheat wraps instead of the mini pizza doughs and it's always a hit.

(You could probably get away with skipping the allspice, but you'll most likely find it at any supermarket.)

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 12:56 am
greeneyes wrote:
http://imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35908&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Yum! I make this about once a week lately on squares of whole wheat wraps instead of the mini pizza doughs and it's always a hit.

(You could probably get away with skipping the allspice, but you'll most likely find it at any supermarket.)

Thanx for the link greeneyes. When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "can I find that recipe again?" Now I can add it to my recipe file!

greeneyes

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 9:24 pm
shanie5 wrote:
greeneyes wrote:
http://imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35908&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Thanx for the link greeneyes. When I saw the thread title, my first thought was "can I find that recipe again?" Now I can add it to my recipe file!

Smile

I am loving the recipe box function!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 27 2011, 1:01 pm
wouldn't prune butter make it too sweet? tamarind paste is actually quite tart. I suggest you mix prune butter and balsamic vinegar to get that sweet-and-tart mix. If you can't find allspice (though it should be easily available at most supermarkets?) you can mix a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg.

joycohen115

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 11:24 am
Actually, you use one jar of prune butter, 1 jar of sugar and one jar of lemon juice.
That is the mock sauce that you can use instead of the tamirand sauce...
Mix that with chop meat and you are good to go!
great sauce for stuffed vegetables with meat too! yum!

naomi2

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 11:18 pm
September June wrote:
Some stores sell a Lahmagene sauce- all you have to do is mix it with the meat and put it on the dough.

Also, instead of the tamarind extract, you can use prune butter and skip the allspice. It still should come out good.

yeah, buy the dough circles. mix 1 lb ground beef with the lahmagene sauce that you also buy at the store, top the dough with meat mixture and bake-it's Delicious!

bananasplit

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 12:55 am
Just get the mini pizza dough or puff pastry dough and put ground meat mixed lachmgine sauce on top and its easy and delicious.

AlwaysThinking

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 3:13 am
I do a 'cheat's version' of this - just normal mince cooked w/ onion and spices and a bit of tomato paste, sweetend with a bit of brown sugar, then put on top of homemade ww pizza dough circles. I made a big pizza like this once, DH and I ate the whole thing - it was delicious Smile

My DH is ashke. and so am I technically, so I appreciate that I'm not keeping to the sephardi customs here, but it was tasty anyway!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics