Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working...and pregnant

amother

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 7:15 pm
I work 10.5 hours a day and I am in my first trimester of my first pregnancy. I have been working at the same place for three years and no one here has ever been pregnant! It's a completley secular place, they dont neccesarily place importance on raising a family. I am really worried about how I will cope with all this at work. I am sick and exhausted, I feel like I am pulling myself through the workday. My coworkers are questioning my new behavior and I feel completley unprofessional. I am scared about how my boss will take the news and I am kind of worried that I will be penalized for being pregnant (like not getting a promotion that I deserve). I like my job, I want to keep working but I physically feel like I am losing it. Is there anyone out there who has been in my sitaution...how did you survive?

queen

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 7:27 pm
firstly, b'shaa tova Smile
you just might be surprised as they could be very excited for you and make a big deal, and help you out.... make you a pre-baby shower Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy etc. I'd suggest speaking to your boss though at a point you feel comfortable letting him know the situation and that you plan on giving the job your best regardless of the situation.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 8:17 pm
I used to work even longer hours than that when I was pregnant with the first. I too was very tired, but found that that I was most tired at the beginning of the pregnancy and then it got better. So my advice is to hang in there because many people feel better after the first trimester. As for telling the boss, I'd wait until I started to show to say anything.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 8:29 pm
You are protected by laws that dictate that you can't be penalised for having babies. If you feel that you are being penalised then you should start documenting specific instances, and keep records.
You are allowed to have children! And they have to be supportive of that whether they like it or not. Many companies today are adding extra perks for mothers or fathers like paid leave etc because that is how you have to be today. If this was 50 years ago then you would have to worry, but today you have rights.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 2:42 am
Yes, it does get better after the 1st trimester (at least, it did for me). In Israel you have to notify your employer by the end of the 5th month, but I don't know where you are. Regardless of location, you are protected by labour laws.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:11 am
If it doesn't go better, your doctor can maybe make you stop working without your boss being able to "take revenge". There are laws to protect you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 10:06 am
Unfortuantely, American laws are not as good as they are in Canada, Israel, France, etc.
There are some laws, but the company has to fit into a certain "mold" in order to be obligated to abide by them.
One plus: working for 3 years -- if you work for under a year in a company, you're not necessarily entitled to pregnancy protection.
But the company I believe has to have over 50 employees, you don't necessarily get paid leave, though they can't fire you if you don't take off too much time (more than 12 weeks) for the baby, etc.

Here is the site for the Family and Medical Leave Act:
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

Pickle Lady

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 6:57 pm
I always thought FMLA is in terms of the right to leave for 12 weeks in TOTAL for maternity leave and still be able to come back to your job. Also it forces them to still pay for you health insurance.

That is different than discrimination. No matter if you have been there a day they are not allowed to fire you because you pregnant. That is discrimination.

HealthCoach

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 10:01 pm
I have been there and done that in 3 different companies. It's very hard. I recommend talking to your manager right before you think you are starting to show. Feeling sick and being tired makes it harder to concentrate and perform well. All you can do is your very best. The second trimester will be easier, but you can expect to be tired in the third. I also recommend telling your manager that it will not affect your work at all, and you are as committed as ever to help your company accomplish it's goals (or however you would say it where you work), and you plan to come back afterwards. Tell him/her that you will not let it affect your work, and hope that it will not affect the projects you are given. I wish you the best of luck. Even though you don't feel well, it might not be as noticable as you think that things have changed. Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

IBR

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 1:08 am
Mazal Tov and beshaa tova. I suggest taking vitamins they realy realy help. Also make sure you wear comfortable shoes if you have to do a lot of walking and bring with you a lot of food of different kind to satisfy your cravings. If you are in USA I believe that according to law they can't fire you for being pregnant but you should check with your local laws like call an employment office or check out government websites of your place of living. do you have vocation days maybe you can take some days off?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:10 pm
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am coping with this by going to work and sleeping as soon as I get home...thats my life.... I know I cant be really penalized (I live in the US), and my co-workers will hopefully be great. My new worry is what to do with the baby after its born...Everyone says have children, be a stay at home mom and Hashem will provide...well, I looked at the books and the numbers just dont add up if my salary is taken out of the equation....what now?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics