Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Getting Everything Done

blokus

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 4:32 pm
I feel overwhelmed sometimes with everything that needs to get done (taking care of a family, working full-time, spiritual growth, time for myself, errands, maintaining friendships, cooking/baking, exercising, calling parents, etc.). I know that the people who get things done are the people who are naturally "quick" and I like to call them "supermommies" (they're always running around and seem to just get everything done!). Tips please!! Thanks!

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 4:37 pm
You're only done with everything once you're dead...all these things - raising a family, maintaining friendships etc. are not things that can be done, crossed off a checklist, and you moveĀ on. They're continuous things you're never done with...so my tip for getting things done is "Do it today. If you can't, do it tomorrow."

Smile

acccdac

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 5:13 pm
just a quick thought, those people you think are getting it done......well their not! I'm one of them.

People always ask me how do I do it? and things like that and you know what I tell my friends all the time that I always feel like I'm drowning and as soon as my head pops up more water is poured on my head!

Kugglegirl

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 5:37 pm
make a decision: do you want to figure out YOUR priorities & get done what will make YOU feel like you have it together? or do you want to LOOK very put together so every one thinks you have it together?

Those are 2 different goals.

Also, there will be times when you will not be able to get much done & you have to know what is the MINIMUM you need to do to stay sane.

I remember going to hear Rebitzen Heller speak-in the states-one time & thinking "Well, I guess she does not spend her time sewing much." & understanding that in order for her to be a scholar & mother of many, some things were not going to be in her wheel house.

Personally, I like to sew & would rather relax that way than reading Rav Dessler. Other people would rather go to a class or bake fancy desserts, but will serve noodles with cheese every night. No one is doing everything- at least not doing everything well- even those with "full time help" have to make choices about what will get done.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 5:38 pm
blokus wrote:
I feel overwhelmed sometimes with everything that needs to get done (taking care of a family, working full-time, spiritual growth, time for myself, errands, maintaining friendships, cooking/baking, exercising, calling parents, etc.). I know that the people who get things done are the people who are naturally "quick" and I like to call them "supermommies" (they're always running around and seem to just get everything done!). Tips please!! Thanks!

Does that even exist? Someone who can do it all, I mean. Sounds pretty impossible. I think something always has to give - e.g. if you're working full time you have someone else do the cooking and cleaning.
I can only conjecture, though; I certainly don't get everything done. Maybe half of your list.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 5:59 pm
I try to outsource things that can be outsourced (grocery shopping, school runs, cleaning, ironing).
As others said, set the priority. I must confess I'm terrible keeping up with personal correspondences, little time catching up with non-news/non-essential readings, and the house has been a mess for years. Because I value my health and sanity. The purpose of life is not to get everything done, but to find a balance you can be happy with.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 7:56 pm
Try making a list of daily, weekly, monthly and yearly tasks that HAVE to get done. Then make a similar list of what you would like to get done.

Start at the top and work your way down.

I also get up as early as I can (usually at 4:30 - I leave at 6 now) to get a head start on some things. I try to empty dishwashers, put dinner in the oven etc. I'm tired in the evenings and I find this helps.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 10:14 pm
I too wonder how people do everything when I feel like I am drowning. Just today someone told me that they are making a sheva brachos and someone else mentioned in the convo oh I made a few of them myself.... and I sat there wondering whats wrong with me that I cant do that?? Everyone is different and can handle different things so stop comparing yourself to other wonder woman.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics