Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Healthy jewish food- is it possible?
Previous  1  2

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 5:38 pm
happymom wrote:
there is a new onion soup mix that I just bought that doesn't have any msg!

check the label, if there is any hydrolyzed protein, there will be msg, even if the product doesn't add any additionally

http://www.truthinlabeling.org......html

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 5:45 pm
I don't use beans, tho I know that is the healthy way, but I use precut stew meat (that has way less fat then typical cholent meat and is still flavorful), onions, one can mushroom soup, some ketchup, barley, potatoes, and lots of bay leaves. I also use a kishke- a vegetarian one, link to one of many recipes below.

http://www.jewish-food.org/rec.....3.htm

amother

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:43 pm
my mother makes kugles, kishke and whatever else very healthy. she barely uses sugar, very little oil and no msg. it is possible, just doesnt taste as good, but everyone still likes it.....

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 7:51 pm
you can't really make kishka healthy since it is made from the most unhealthy parts of the animal.

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 8:49 pm
you can make pareve "kishke"

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 10:23 pm
nobody makes real kishka anymore!

willow

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 2:11 am
mumoo wrote:
I don't use beans, tho I know that is the healthy way, but I use precut stew meat (that has way less fat then typical cholent meat and is still flavorful), onions, one can mushroom soup, some ketchup, barley, potatoes, and lots of bay leaves. I also use a kishke- a vegetarian one, link to one of many recipes below.

I would think to make chulent healthy you should not use any soup mix (tons msg and salt) or ketchup(lots of sugar)?

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:47 am
chocolate moose wrote:
nobody makes real kishka anymore!

fine but there is still a difference between something that is unhealthy and something that is fattening.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:49 am
willow wrote:
mumoo wrote:

I would think to make chulent healthy you should not use any soup mix (tons msg and salt) or ketchup(lots of sugar)?

There is nothing really that unhealthy about chulent. It's basically a hearty stew. If all you add is meat, potatoes, beans, barley, onions, garlic, spices and a bit of ketchup, there's nothing really unhealthy about it.
And if you stay from soup mixes, like willow said, then you are also not adding any uneccessary chemicals.

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:15 am
granolamom, how do you make bean burgers?

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:40 pm
willow wrote:

yeah I know, but I am not a cook (I mean I really dont like to) so this is probably the best I can do. I'd like to have a flair for spices. as it is I'm really proud that I can use bay leaves! I know, its pretty pathetic

Esther01

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 7:11 pm
for some reason this thread is so shocking to me. don't any of you use regular spices?

for example, chulent, put in your beans potatoes, meat and ad all the spices in your cabinet, NO SOUP MIXES. put in salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and LOTS of paprika. it's yummy!!!

soup, same idea, put in your veg, and anything else you want, peas, beans, lentils you name it, then put in spices. you can experiment with basil and thyme, oregeno, curry powder... they are all healthy.

another thing bubbies DID NOT cook the way we cook. there wasn't all this garbage. they did not have all these soup mixes, caned food, etc. they cooked hearty meals from scratch and spiced it themselves. (probably with fresh garlic and onions, no powders)

one more thing, not all oils are unhealty. the best one is olive and canola. that doesn't mean that if you shower your soups and salads with oil you won't gain weight but it doesn't clog your arteries like other oils. so if you are using oil stick to these.

oh and one more thing. pareve kishka is absolutely YUMMY.
if you want the recipe I don't mind posting.

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:44 pm
esther, that's what I just said -look above I realize the hallmark of a great cook is she can use spices to make magic. How do you know what ones to pick, much less the combinations? I'm stymied... Confused

Esther01

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 1:11 pm
how do you know wich soup mixes to use? or do you only use onion soup mix?
I happen to be clueless with the mixes because I never use it.

to me spices are so simple
here's a small lesson on spices Wink
salt=salty (ha ha)
pepper=sharp
garlic powder=gives a garlicy touch to it without the garlic sharpness
paprika=I use for the color more than the taste
onoin powder=gives some oniony touch with out the yummyness of fresh sauted onions. (you can tell I'd rather suate onions than use the spice)

basil, thyme, oregeno=herbs. it some kind of pizza taste (that's why I wrote experiment)

I think these are basic.

usually in most foods salt and pepper are enough, chalent, you put whatever you have, the more the merrier, soups is fun to experiment with all the weird stuff.
am I any good of a teacher? Wink

Chaya4

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 1:13 pm
I would like the parve kishke recipe. I tried one from scratch last week and it totally flopped!

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 3:10 pm
as an aside, for kishke, I used the recipe from the Spice and Spirit for parve kishke.

I used whole wheat flour instead of white, and canola oil instead of vegetable oil. It came out delicious.

By the way, I've seen cooking guides for spices and herbs, I.e. what to use for what type of dish. I'll try to post if I come across it.

and I totally agree with Esther01!! Spices add so much flavor and life to food. I use lots of fresh herbs and dry spices in EVERYTHING. Food tastes so much better that way! [/quote]

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 3:12 pm
here is one link to a spices guide:

http://www.epicurious.com/cook.....pice/

Esther01

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 7:17 pm
thanks mommyluv for this link, it is really great.

chaya4 this is the kishka recipe I use.

(from 'the balabuste's choise')

2 carrots
2 stalks celery
2 onions
1 1/2 cups oil (use canola or light olive oil)
3 cups flour (you can use whole wheat)
2 tsps. salt
2 tsps. paprika

blend veg in a blender, food processor (not mixer, the veg neat to chop up) then add rest of ingredients and blend.
wrap it in parchment paper to form rolls (I do 4 rolls out of this recipe)
drop it into bubbling cholent.
(I put three rolls in the freezer, it freezes very well and then just put in the frozen roll into bubbling cholent)

hearty appetite.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics