Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Secular camp

amother

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 11:21 am
Due to health issues, I have to send DS 10 to a secular sleep away camp this summer. They are the only ones who can deal with his issues.The camp will give him kosher food, but there is nothing remotely Jewish about the camp and he will be there over many shabbosim etc. Has anyone done anything like this? What advice can I give him?

momX4

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 11:44 am
Can he go home every shabbos, or if its to far maybe to a nearby jewish camp???

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 12:08 pm
I suggest that for more responses, you ask this question in the "special needs" section here, and/or on Yahoo's Special Frum Moms (which also has a Facebook page).

amother

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 12:33 pm
OP here. He is not "special needs". These are health issues, but he is mentally and emotionally 100% mainstream. He cannot come home for weekends, unfortunately. He is very nervous and I am not sure what to tell him. He has only ever been around frum kids and this will be a major culture shock.

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 13 2013, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. He is not "special needs". These are health issues, but he is mentally and emotionally 100% mainstream. He cannot come home for weekends, unfortunately. He is very nervous and I am not sure what to tell him. He has only ever been around frum kids and this will be a major culture shock.

There are really two sets of questions:

(1) What are you OK with him doing, under the circumstances?

and

(2) What do you tell him?

Eg, If this isn't a Jewish camp, there will not be an eruv. Would you be OK with him playing baseball (carrying a glove) on Shabbat? Playing soccer (no carrying, but grass)? Swimming? (And for that matter, what if they boys and girls are at the pool at the same time?) What about a Friday night campfire? If the camp uses kosher ice cream, are you OK with him eating it from a paper plate? From one of the camp's bowls? You need to figure out where your red lines are, in order to talk to him.

I know I'm overstepping myself here, especially since I don't know you or your child, but there are Jewish camps that have dealt with a lot of children with physical challenges over the years. Google Nesher and Nathaniel Cohen (or Yom Nate) for one example. Of course, without knowing more, I don't know if your child needs more intensive medical intervention that only a specialized camp would be able to provide.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics