Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dreams

sima

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 1:50 pm
Can anyone guide me a bit maybe. What is generally the Torah approach to dreams or dream interpretation. I had a very horrible dream and I don't know if I should heed the potential warning in it or dismiss it as well "just a dream" nonsense. Is there someone good to speak to about this, a Rav or so? I don't know what to do with this.

thanks

chani8

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 2:03 pm
My understanding is that these days dreams don't signify anything to worry about.

emhabanim

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 3:50 pm
Dream interpretation is discussed at the end of the Gemarrah Berachos. I believe it is advised to only tell dreams to someone who will give you a positive interpretation ( story brought down how two Rabbonim told their dreams to someone for interpretation. One paid and got brachos and one didn't and bad interpretations were given and bad events occurred). Dreams are not taken lightly.

However, today we are also not on the level of people then when dreams had a touch of nevuah.

I wouldn't tell anyone my dream unless I knew they loved me and would spin a positive interpretation (ie. I dreamed a lot of blood around me... you will be blessed with many healthy, happy kids and grandkids ledoros).

Consult your LOR if you need to about what to do.

hot pink

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 4:21 pm
I've also heard some dreams might require an annulment ceremony before a Beis Din / 3 Rabbonim.

I think there's also something you can say in the artscroll siddur, along with giving tzadakah and along with what @emhabanim said, to interpret it for the very good. (ie: drowning = being overflowed with brachas)

sima

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 4:42 pm
ok I understand. I understand about the issue of the positive interpretation, however, what if it's something that I can't imagine how to put a positive twist on it

mandr

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 5:39 pm
I think that only if you dream the same dream three times in a row then you should consult a Rabbi regarding what to do about it. Some very bad dreams have good connotations, btw. Like a house burning down signifies wealth.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 5:44 pm
I think that when one has a disturbing dream one should ask someone. I wouldn't necessarily ask the same rav I ask other shailos too but a rav who's not necessarily a posek but a ba'al machshava.

Interesting note: years ago one of the Jewish publishers put out a book called Dreams by a fellow named Shmuely Boteach.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 23 2013, 7:02 pm
and in that book the conclusion was that modern day dreams have so much extranous stuff that you can't tell anything from them

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 1:53 am
Some say you dream about what you're concerned about during the day. Again, not that it has to mean something. Some say if it really worries you to give tzedakah. But do check with a Rav.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 3:41 am
hot pink wrote:
I've also heard some dreams might require an annulment ceremony before a Beis Din / 3 Rabbonim.

What does this mean? How can one annul a dream? And why would you have to do this?

hot pink

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 5:27 pm
DrMom wrote:
hot pink wrote:

What does this mean? How can one annul a dream? And why would you have to do this?

I'm really not sure what it entails - I just know it exists. I think there have to be certain qualifications of the dream for it to be done.. Can't just be whenever someone dreams something they don't like.

bookie

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 5:45 pm
"Some very bad dreams have good connotations, btw. Like a house burning down signifies wealth."

May I ask for the source of this? Thanks

emunah shlaima

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 5:20 am
keep it positive your interpretation of the dream and remember that dreams are known to contain some nonsense.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics