Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Knife for Slicing Chicken breast into Thin Slices

lk1234

Post Tue, Apr 02 2013, 11:25 pm
Which knife should I use if I want to slice my chicken breast into thin slices?

And, in general what knives do you have in your drawers.
I have been using just the regular victorinox knives for everything. But I always found it hard to slice chicken breast nicely and that got me thinking about all these other knives that they sell like in sets. Do people use all those knives?

Thank you!

a1mom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 12:14 am
buy a good 8 inch chef's knife and watch your life improve for the better, also if you are investing in a good knife a honing stick will prolong the life of the knife indefinitely- I sharpen my knife like once a week and it continues to slice and dice beautifully. a good knife can last for years and years.

paprika

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:05 am
I use kitchen sheers.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:51 am
Love Kyocera ceramic knives

lk1234

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:45 am
a1mom- what company do you go with for the chef's knife? how much should I spend?

paprika- thank you- but I tried kitchen shears and it does't give that neat sliced look that I want for shnitzel.

chana miriam- which size for slicing raw chicken?

myself

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:06 am
I use a large Victorinex, it's great and makes beautifully smooth slices.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:13 am
I suggest going into a better home-equipment store. Maybe Williams-Sonoma? Bloomingdales? (sorry, I've been out of the U.S. for almost 10 years and don't know which stores are in vogue). Get a knowledgeable sales person to help you. Describe what you want. Check out the different knives available for your purpose. Do you need a carving knife? A filleting knife to fillet the chicken breast? And so on. Then, decide which one you like.

lk1234

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:22 am
Thank you tamiri- that's a really good idea!

nylon

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 9:35 am
My favorite is Sur La Table, they have the best selection.

Do you mean slicing cooked chicken or raw? For raw, slice it slightly frozen with a very sharp knife--I love my Kyocera, it gives me the best control. For cooked, any sharp chefs knife, but it slices better cold than hot. It is much easier to get thin slices with the meat slightly frozen than if it's completely soft. Then pound lightly with a meat mallet (smooth side) to make the slice completely thin and even.

(I slice all my own schnitzels as it is easier for me to get prepacked chicken than ready sliced.)

a1mom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 9:57 am
my husband got a knife for me at a Costco road show- it was about 50 dollars, I think the brand is wusthof. but you don't need to spend that much- go to a Williams sonoma or the like and get a heavy knife with a good handle- I use my knife for everything from onions to chicken to butternut squash, I didn't yet invest in one for pesach and I really missed it.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 11:14 am
I love my Cutco knives. I think I've had them about 8 years now without sharpening and they still work amazingly well for all tasks.

Shuly

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 2:52 pm
I have a set of Henkels and some Cutco knives. But if you don't want to invest a lot of money, the OXO knives are really good.

Smiling Wife

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:11 pm
Ok the brand doesn't matter, you need a 7 inch or 8 inch knife in your kitchen, one that has a strong blade ( not wabbely) and stainless steel or whatever good material that won't get rusty. U NEED A KNIFE SHARPENER any knives get dull no matter whether you buy them for $20 a knife or $200 a knife.

I have a santoku knife that is 5 inches and and a Furi Rachael Ray Gusto-Grip Basics Line 7-Inch Cook's Knife ( google it ) that I use most they are both less that $20 each. Learn good knife skills there are PLENTY you tube vidoes it will save you so much time in the kitchen!

I also have a boning knife ( 7 inches also ) that I use to cut up a whole chicken into parts or when I have a piece of meat I need to separate/cut/organize. And I have 2 small knives for coring that apple or cutting that pear here and there.

For the sharpener all you need really is a standard sharpening rod/stell none of the electric of fancy stuff. before every cooking session I use it and certainly when I am cutting meat it makes it so easy!

winter_rose

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:04 pm
Someone got us this set for our wedding: http://xintech.biz/index.php?m.....id=28

It didn't look like anything to write home about, but the cleaver is so thin and sharp that I can slice my brisket razor thin with it (when it's cold)

lk1234

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 2:46 pm
thanks everyone for the info. I went to sur la table and the guy there basically advised me to get a wusthof chef's knife.
How often do you sharpen these knives?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 2:50 pm
lk1234 wrote:
thanks everyone for the info. I went to sur la table and the guy there basically advised me to get a wusthof chef's knife.
How often do you sharpen these knives?
I have some wusthof, some henkels and some F. d!ck. I bought a honing stick, but when I lived in the U.S. paid a few bucks to have them sharpened professionally every few years. I took them to a guy in Israel once but don't like what he did to them, so now I just use the honing stick or whatever it's called.

es

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 4:01 pm
I'd also recommend a simple serrated Victorinox knife- the kind they sell at hardware stores with colorful plastic handles- if you're on a budget. They last a few years. If you do a lot of chopping, look into the Forschner by Victorinox santoku knife- with a grantor edge (the pockets that make the food fall off the knife so it doesn't get stuck on and make a mess as you cut)- run about $50. Check any knife you want to invest in to ensure that the metal of the blade runs all the way up the handle, that way the blade won't snap off when you cut something tough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey