Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What can I save for next year?
Previous  1  2  3

RachelB

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 3:29 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
No point in saving, since I won't remember what I saved.

I tried something new this year - I created a Google drive document with all my lists for next year: stuff to buy, replace and Do Not Buy list, recipes that were successful (although I remember those by heart Smile )
I used to have a notebook and couldn't find my list this year, and I realized the I can access my Google Drive document from anywhere. You can also use Dropbox, Evernote, any cloud storage I assume.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 4:11 pm
I made a have - gear, have - food, and lack lists. (with 'lack' not being exactly the same as 'need' but gives me an idea what to look out for). Put the spices closed tightly in a ziploc bag and hope for the best. They were nice and fresh, and it did make sense to buy the big ones because they were actually cheaper than the little ones anyway so if I have to throw them out after all, it still will have been a savings. Stuck everything up in a cabinet I can never reach anyway, and we'll find out next year how it kept. Except the open oil, that I kept out and I guess we'll have some safflower stuff for the next few weeks, why not. I wish ketchup and mayo came in smaller packages, though, I find the Jewish/Pesach stuff gross so it will either clutter up the fridge for a loooong time or get thrown out - probably both.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 11:04 pm
If the expiration date will still be good closed bottles of ketchup get put away for the next year. Open ketchup and mayonnaise gets used up in recipes.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Mar 18 2016, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

StrongIma

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 3:33 pm
granolamom wrote:
I save spices (ziplocks in the freezer) and unopened potato starch. you can save vinegar, I would not save the oils. or the chocolate. old chocolate tastes gross to me. I would absolutely NOT save the matzo meal. a rov once told me not to buy KLP matzo meal after the summer because it is more likely to have bugs since its old. having once spotted bugs floating in my pot of boiling kneidlach, let me tell you that is not an experience I want to ever repeat.
as far as baking powder, I use it during the year. KLP baking powder often has no aluminum in it, so when I run out of my alum. free from trader joes, I break into my pesach supply. (trader joes stocks theirs only around thanksgiving).
I wouldn't save sugar either, unless in a freezer
I also would be wary about saving sugar, being afraid of ants, but our KLP sugar was especially fine this way, and I have an unopened bag, so I checked this invaluable site (thx seeker!): http://www.stilltasty.com/food.....18441

what do you think?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics