Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Cedarhurst Shopping Advice, Please

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 10:29 am
Can anyone give me a brief run down of the best places to shop in Cedarhurst, cost-wise? DH likes Gourmet Glatt but I am unsure of how competitively-priced they are, and he does the shopping, so if I don't outline the best places to go, he will just buy everything in one place, no matter the price. What is best to buy there and what should he go elsewhere for? Meat/Chicken; fresh produce; dairy; staples; paper goods; cereals/snacks/crackers, etc.
Any help would be appreciated!

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 10:42 am
Let me start by saying I do NOT actually live in the Five Towns, my sister does. She shops at Brachs and Costco. Not sure if Brachs has the best prices but it does have EVERYTHING you need under one roof.
Sometimes you save more on one item, less on anaother... Pretty sure it all evens out in the end.

Good Luck to you and have FUN!!

I will tell you Jildor is an amazing shoe store with great sales. They have every shoe imaginable and the prices are somewhat reasonable. I generally go when I fly in for an event and discover I forgot my dress shoes. They will always have SOMETHING---but convenience comes at a price!

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 10:49 am
ValleyMom wrote:
Let me start by saying I do NOT actually live in the Five Towns, my sister does. She shops at Brachs and Costco. Not sure if Brachs has the best prices but it does have EVERYTHING you need under one roof.
Sometimes you save more on one item, less on anaother... Pretty sure it all evens out in the end.

Good Luck to you and have FUN!!

I will tell you Jildor is an amazing shoe store with great sales. They have every shoe imaginable and the prices are somewhat reasonable. I generally go when I fly in for an event and discover I forgot my dress shoes. They will always have SOMETHING---but convenience comes at a price!

This reply made me smile - how on earth did you figure out from my post that I am a total shoe hound? LOL I was actually asking about groceries (which you did mention as well, thanks!) but will definitely keep this info. filed away for future reference!
Anyone know the particulars about Gourmet Glatt to keep DH happy? Wink

madys

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 11:35 am
I have found gourmet glatt to be more expensive since they expanded their store - I used to switch between Brachs and Gourmet, but now I only go to Brachs. Also, I hate the parking lot at Gourmet, circling around and around, but Brachs has plenty of parking (without meters)

preempservices

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 12:29 pm
Brachs is cheaper, gourmet glatt has better quality, premium items and is better stocked with more registers open.
I do most of my shopping at Brachs.
If you can walk a bit, park at the train tracks down Spruce (for Gourmet Glatt).
We also have a DSW for shoes.
TJ MAxx reopened!

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 1:03 pm
preempservices wrote:
Brachs is cheaper, gourmet glatt has better quality, premium items and is better stocked with more registers open.
I do most of my shopping at Brachs.
If you can walk a bit, park at the train tracks down Spruce (for Gourmet Glatt).
We also have a DSW for shoes.
TJ MAxx reopened!

I'm thinking I have to take over the shopping and get me some new shoes. LOL
Thanks!

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 2:18 pm
preempservices wrote:
Brachs is cheaper, gourmet glatt has better quality, premium items and is better stocked

Everyone tells me that Brachs is cheaper, but I haven't found that as much (although I haven't lived in the area long). I shop in Gourmet Glatt usually, because I find it easier and a more pleasant experience. However, their take-out stuff is pricey. For general groceries and meat (meat especially!) I don't find them so bad and they have a much better selection then Brachs.

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 3:37 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
preempservices wrote:
Brachs is cheaper, gourmet glatt has better quality, premium items and is better stocked

Everyone tells me that Brachs is cheaper, but I haven't found that as much (although I haven't lived in the area long). I shop in Gourmet Glatt usually, because I find it easier and a more pleasant experience. However, their take-out stuff is pricey. For general groceries and meat (meat especially!) I don't find them so bad and they have a much better selection then Brachs.

Okay, that's good - I don't really buy takeout anyway. Thanks!

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 6:46 pm
I've been shopping here for a long time, since before gourmet glatt even opened up here. Gourmet has much nicer produce and meats. Braces is, on average, 10-15 percent cheaper. Not on each item, but if you do a weekly shopping, you can expect to save that much over GG. I would not bother buying take out there ( indelible, IMO) and their meats are oddly labeled (strange looking cuts) and the chicken is sometimes iffy-smelling. There is free parking which is nice but the store is dirty and gross looking. The lines move much more slowly than in GG and the staff is grumpy and not helpful. their fish is ok though, and much cheaper than GG

I haven't shopped in Jildor since I'm single, can't afford it, even on sale.

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 6:47 pm
Inedible, not indelible. Sorry

amother

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 8:18 pm
I only go to gourmet Glatt, just cuz I can't deal with the mess in Brachs. As someone else mentioned also, the meat dept has a weird smell :-( I love gourmet Glatt. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Besides Friday mornings there is usually parking available! However my husband always gets the circulars from both stores and if there's a specific sale on something (Brachs often has sales on pasta, soda, duck sauce, pasta sauce etc) he goes there himself and picks it up. For paper goods and foil pans I mostly get my stuff in Costco.. It's so convienient. And much cheaper.. Also don't forget amazing savings on central. If you need nicer paper goods and party stuff that's the place to go..hope this helps a bit!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 8:19 pm
Oh... And for cereals your best bet is probably target or Walmart.. Better price then locally..

mommydiaries

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 8:57 pm
If you don't want to deal with going there, they shop for you and deliver for $8 gourmet Glatt does the same. GG is def a much nicer experience. Staff is great, always stocked but more expensive I also like brachs bakery and sushi more. But at GG you will run into everyone and if you are new to the area you might enjoy this.

preempservices

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
Also don't forget amazing savings on central. If you need nicer paper goods and party stuff that's the place to go..hope this helps a bit!

There is now a Closeout Connection in the same "mall" as Gourmet Glatt. IDK about price, but if you are shopping at Gourmet you can't beat the convenience!

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 9:19 pm
This is very helpful! Where do you get the circulars? Do you have to go to the stores to pick them up? Does anyone know what day of the week the new circular comes out?

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 9:29 pm
the stores all advertise in the five towns jewish times. comes out on wednesdays I think, and you can pick it up outside the supermarkets and in lots of other stores too.
I also get the GG emails (sign up at their website)

a1mom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 12:42 am
Brach's is definitely cheaper and has great sales the tradeoff is that it is not as shopper friendly. Costco is great for detergent, papertowels, baking supplies and some produce. Trader Joe's has great prices on whole wheat and brown rice pasta, slivered almonds, peanut butter, jams, soymilk and their pareve ice cream is really good and competitively priced. I also love their basil marinara sauce and canola oil spray. We usually do a trader joes trip 4-5 times a year and stock up on these items.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics