Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Mastery and Self-Esteem: another look

roza

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:57 pm
Quote:
It's important to say something further about mastery and the hot topic of self-esteem. Some parents think the way to boost a child's self-esteem is to lavish him with praise. Not so. Self-esteem is rooted in mastery. So, if you want your child to have high self-regard, do not go out of your way to offer praise. Go out of your way to make sure he has plenty of opportunities to experience mastery.
And always remember to make sure your child feels connected to others and valued for who he actually is, rather than for just his accomplishments. Children who focus only on mastery, rather than mastery and connection, become "accomplishment junkies," always striving for the next thing and never happy with what they have.

Full article (the above was the last paragraph): http://content.scholastic.com/.....=8058

Mevater

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 5:25 pm
roza wrote:

Full article (the above was the last paragraph): http://content.scholastic.com/.....=8058

GRRRRRRRRRRReat! This post rates a "Top 10%" of all posts, in my opinion.

Thanks.

technic

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 5:28 pm
ty 4 posting Very Happy

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 9:07 am
Getting warmer. Still no mention of the need to challenge, learning the lesson "that not doing what I thought I could" is not failure and the need to see every experience as a learning experience. Mastery is great for a person and I have personally seen people who are in distress because they have not been given the chance to acquire basic skills that most others have. I have also seen people who are trying to overcome learned helplessnees. dealinfg with what cannot be mastered is not dealt with. I also think the mastery is the aim, not self esteem. It is imperative that a child not equate their worth with what they have or have not mastered. What they can or cannot do.

BTW, taking articles from these sources distress ME..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics