Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Crock Pot Dinners

withhumor

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 1:04 pm
One-pot dinners that you prepare in the morning can help you feel like a mentsh when you come home from work around the same time as your kids. Here’s a recipe that I found online recently and has become the special family secret recipe. I use it for special occasions. Slice up an onion into rings and put it on the bottom of the crock pot. Take a chunk of meat (London broil, shoulder) and add it on top of the onions. Now, take a can of coca cola, not the diet kind and pour it in, and add 1 packet of onion soup mix. Come back in 8 hours and enjoy your dinner! This turns into a heavy gravy and is out of this world. I have a westbend crock pot, the kind where the pot can be used as a pot on the stove without the base for slow cooking. I like to cook up my dinner on the stove until it bubbles, and only then, transfer it to the base to cook slowly. Enjoy your dinners, and post some more here!

mumsy23

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 1:09 pm
2 things:

1) This doesn't seem like a whole meal. Its just meat and onions. There is not carbs. I wonder if you can add potatos to really make it a whole crock pot dinner.

2) Can you fry the onions instead of using onion soup mix? The mixes are so unhealthy, I wouldn't serve that to my family. Confused

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 1:36 pm
withhumor wrote:
One-pot dinners that you prepare in the morning can help you feel like a mentsh when you come home from work around the same time as your kids. Here’s a recipe that I found online recently and has become the special family secret recipe. I use it for special occasions. Slice up an onion into rings and put it on the bottom of the crock pot. Take a chunk of meat (London broil, shoulder) and add it on top of the onions. Now, take a can of coca cola, not the diet kind and pour it in, and add 1 packet of onion soup mix. Come back in 8 hours and enjoy your dinner! This turns into a heavy gravy and is out of this world. I have a westbend crock pot, the kind where the pot can be used as a pot on the stove without the base for slow cooking. I like to cook up my dinner on the stove until it bubbles, and only then, transfer it to the base to cook slowly. Enjoy your dinners, and post some more here!

some questions:
is the meat frozen or not?
how high do u put the crock pot on? how do u know when its ready?

I really wanna try this though.

Buddy

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 1:49 pm
Rice & potatoes ususally work well in crockpot dinners. Celery & mushrooms also adds great taste. If you put in a bay leaf or two, it adds spice & the aroma is just delicious!

I can't figure out why red meats usually hae a dry taste when I use the crockpot. Anyone know what I can do to avoid that?

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 1:58 pm
2 meals I make when I'm lazy or don't have time to cook when I get home:

Throw frozen chicken breasts into the crockpot with cans of chopped tomatoes with chili peppers. Add a little salt, pepper, and garlic, and that's it. When I come home, the chicken falls apart and can be easily shredded with a fork. Then I just put it into tacos.

The laziest of lazy meals: Put frozen chicken legs or a frozen quartered chicken in the crockpot with cut up potatoes and cover in bbq sauce.

withhumor

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 2:05 pm
True, this ‘secret recipe’ is just the meat. I usually make a quick mashed potatoes when I get home from work. It’s just the most creative thing I ever made in the crock pot that deserves to be served at a wedding.

Re: carbs – I avoid serving carbs for dinner, even for the kids. Chicken with broccoli and cantaloupe fills them up just fine. They anyway eat starch all day at school.

For the original recipe, it asks for the coca cola and the soup mix. Because it’s not the healthiest combination, I use this recipe only for special occasions. Let me know if you come up with a great alternative.

myomi

Post Mon, Aug 14 2006, 1:02 pm
do u set your crock-pot to low or high??thanks

withhumor

Post Mon, Aug 14 2006, 1:03 pm
Always on high, I never figured out what low is for. I put it on in the morning, and leave it on high until it's time to eat dinner.

mumsy23

Post Mon, Aug 14 2006, 1:18 pm
Low is for loooooooooong cooking. I make cholent friday morn and keep it on high until shabbos and then I turn it to low. If I kept it on high it would dry out and maybe even burn!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Aug 14 2006, 9:51 pm
mumsy23 wrote:
Low is for loooooooooong cooking. I make cholent friday morn and keep it on high until shabbos and then I turn it to low. If I kept it on high it would dry out and maybe even burn!

Yup, that's how I make my cholent!
I like the low setting on the crockpot also for days when I make a meal in the morning and leave it all day to cook on low.

sugaray

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 12:07 pm
when you put in meat/chicken and vegetable, barley, rice , etc... do you add water or just the dry ingredients? and if so, how much water?

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:01 pm
I just bought one of those small recipe books in the checkout aisle - this one was for crock-pot cooking, there were several great looking meals in there!

Imhappy!

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 12:00 pm
sound interesting have you ever tried it with diet soda I'm on a sugar free diet.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 3:13 pm
sugaray wrote:
when you put in meat/chicken and vegetable, barley, rice , etc... do you add water or just the dry ingredients? and if so, how much water?

I think you need some sort of liquid in there...

batya_d

Post Mon, Sep 04 2006, 6:52 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I just bought one of those small recipe books in the checkout aisle - this one was for crock-pot cooking, there were several great looking meals in there!

I also got some amazing recipes from "Slow Cooking" magazine that my mom picked up at the check-out. My favorite is a Thai chicken that I think I already posted.

Put chicken pieces in bottom of crockpot (I ALWAYS use Reynolds liners for easier cleanup.)
Mix sauce: 1 cup salsa, a few Tbsp. peanut butter, lime juice.
Pour on chicken. Cook on high for 4-6 hrs. Sprinkle with Cilantro and crushed peanuts if you have some.

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 5:52 pm
Bump!! Please post your recipes!

batya_d

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 6:12 pm
yoyosma wrote:
Bump!! Please post your recipes!

This one's for you, Yoyosma!

Spicy Chicken or Beef Stew

1 lb. cubed boneless chicken or stew meat
4 large potatoes, cut in large chunks
3 carrots, cut into chunks
2 stalks celery (I didn't have any, so you can use some celery salt or celery seed instead)
1 large onion, chopped
2 spoonfuls jarred garlic, or 2 cloves fresh
1 large can tomatoes (whole, sliced, crushed, whatever) with juice
1/2 cup dry red wine (leftover from Shabbos!)
1 cup chicken or beef stock
1 tbsp. dried or fresh rosemary (I happened to have this. If you don't, no worries)
1 tbsp other assorted italian spices (thyme, oregano, parsley, whatever. I have a jar called "Italian Spice Blend")
1 tsp. chile powder, if you want it spicy

Cook for 8 hours. At the end, add a few handfuls of frozen corn (or a can) and cook a bit longer. Then dissolve corn starch in cold water to thicken stew. It took me 5 teaspoons cornstarch to thicken to my liking, but thicken 2 tsp. at a time to your taste.

I made this up based on what I had around. You can subtract, add or substitute anything you like. Leave out the wine if you like, or the chile powder. Use different herbs and spices-- I'm not a big curry fan, but if you are, curry chicken stew could be great. If you have parsnips, turnips, fresh parsley, etc-- throw them in! No tomatoes? Add a squirt of ketchup or some tomato sauce. Play around with it. It's your basic stew.

Oh, and I added in two huge beef bones for flavor, that I usually use in cholent, and scooped out all the marrow at the end while adding the corn starch. It's like natural MSG. Just amazing flavor. Never hurts Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics