Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
So who's still counting?
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 6:13 pm
My mother always used to encourage us to count sefira with a bracha the whole way through by telling us that only those who made it got cheesecake on Shavuos.

She didn't really deprive those of us who slipped up, but the "threat" certainly helped, as did the sefira chart posted on the fridge door.

I find that if I remember to count the second night, then I usually make it the whole 49. E-mail reminders from the OU help.

So who on imamother is still counting with a bracha? What tricks do you use to help you remember?

cookielady

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 6:20 pm
I am. Since some sights I go to have sefirah reminders it helps a lot. I have found the times in the past when I have forgotten was on Shabbos.
I've always wondered why imamother doesn't have sefirat on it.

Happy18

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 6:37 pm
I am. Between DH and the reminders its hard to forget.

peppermint

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 6:45 pm
Still counting BH

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:27 pm
Reminding myself always works better for me than the emails, because if I'm counting on an email I invariably forget on Shabbos, even though I keep reminding myself ever since the erev Shabbos email Rolling Eyes

Just a reminder to all reading this that even if you already slipped up on the bracha (like I did. Sigh.) it is still a mitzva to count without a bracha. I think a lot of people aren't aware of this and just stop counting but afaik that is a big mistake.

octopus

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:31 pm
"Not I," said the octopus.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:34 pm
what are we counting ???

rule of thumb - if I forget the first night or two ... I have a harder time even remembering ... [burning with fever seems a good excuse]

albeit I get a nice e-mail with reminders - I find the day to be ahead of the actual count ... so if I'm reading it during the day - it's that nights aka the next counting

esmom

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:39 pm
I said a daily reminder on my phone that rings each night at same time. This way its easier to remember because need to shut it off. Bli ayin hara still counting

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:42 pm
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BH Ken Yirbu tfu tfu tfu

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:43 pm
Still counting. Thumbs Up

Aetrsnrady

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:46 pm
Me! It's been a long time since I got this far. I'm so happy

Raizle

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:47 pm
still going

btw there is an app for androids to remind you to count sefira. probably for iphones too.
my husband is my app

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 7:59 pm
Hooray for all of you (and me too)!

Maybe we should remind each other going forward.

imamiri

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 8:00 pm
Still counting.

Does that mean you are making me a cheesecake? Great! That's awesome! I can't wait! LOL

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 8:08 pm
Not me. DH does the baking.

imamiri

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 8:16 pm
Ha. My DH likes to cook too. And cheesecake is reason enough to do anything so I like your mother's policy. Very Happy

grace413

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:00 pm
I am. I get e-mail reminders from torah.org and before Shabbat I write a note saying "Yesterday was X" and put it on the refrigerator door.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:02 pm
I am trying to diet. Should I purposely forget to count one night so that I dont eat the cheesecake on shavuos?

My phone is set to remind me. Shabbos is the weak link, but so far I am still counting with a brocha.

momx6

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 9:16 pm
I'm counting too. BH for the email reminders. For shabbos when I set the table Thurs night, I put the sefira chart that I keep on my fridge, I put it up against the napkin holder. This has really worked out for me.

eschaya

Post Sun, Apr 14 2013, 11:07 pm
still counting... just did tonight thanks to this thread!!!
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics