Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dress style for my body type

amother

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 8:51 pm
I'm starting to look for a dress for my brother's wedding and I wonder what style will look best on me. I have about 20 extra pounds left from my last pregnancy and most is on my stomach area. My shoulders and arms look ridiculous in bigger sizes that accommodate my bigger waist. What can I wear that won't make me look pregnant?

TIA for all tips!

carpediem

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 12:20 am
Go for a fitting and have the seamstress alter the gown to take in the extra material at the sleeves and shoulders but leave the stomach part looking good.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 7:38 am
thanks. You mean buy something a little bigger? Any advice on what styles would work best?

marina

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 8:14 am
A-line skirts or dresses

herehere

and also this linklink

Last edited by marina on Fri, Apr 05 2013, 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

carpediem

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 8:16 am
Yeah, the key is to dress the biggest part of you first. I do this with skirts because I have a very small waist but a big tush so I get a size that fits my hips and then take in the waist. Focus on fitting your stomach and then take in the arms and shoulders.
If your trying to hide a belly, avoid a voluminous gown that adds bulk to your midsection, like one of those ruffled busy gowns with corsets or bows by the waist. Instead go for a simple slenderizing cut. You can always add a pretty necklace to draw attention upward.
Another tip is make sure your wearing a really good bra, it lifts everything up and makes a huge difference!

wifenmother

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 8:43 am
I agree. Have the same issue - I'm small on top, with a larger midsection post pregnancy. I usually buy a size big enough to accomodate my hips and stomach and then have my seamstress take care of alterations for the sleeves, shoulders, and bodice.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 8:45 am
thanks so much for the help. hate shopping but gotta do what I gotta do, right?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 9:07 am
I wore this gown to a simcha recently, it hides stomach really well. Gown

STMommy

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 9:21 am
how did you make it tznius?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 05 2013, 9:44 am
I wore a 3/4 sleeve shell under it

amother

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 7:57 am
Thanks for all the help! I found something a-line and will be taking in the top.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:14 am
That.

And, there is no law it has to be all one piece. A correctly fitting skirt, matte black dressy fabric, and a correctly fitting top, also dressy, that look nice together, is another approach.

I am a huge fan of separates.

That removes the problem of getting the length of the back right. It is often too long and bulges out at the back of the waist.

A dressy Chanel style jacket is useful.

Yes, keep all flash or interest quite high, at the shoulder height. For instance, no interesting belt buckles or dressy buttons going down the front.

I would even go easy on eye-catching cuffs and bracelets, because that draws the eye down when your arms are down.

EstyGold

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 9:13 am
try this site, it's a fashion stylist who gives a loooong list of advises on how to dress different body shapes
http://youlookfab.com/2010/05/.....2010/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics