Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
ISO delicious water challah recipe
Previous  1  2

AZmom09

Post Wed, Jan 09 2013, 10:34 am
I'm looking for recipe that tastes like Gross' bakery challah. Its water challah and not sweet at all.
Any recipes?

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 3:12 am
I used a beaten egg yolk (no white) mixed with about a Tablespoon or so of molasses as a bread wash or glaze. Yes, I got a brown color, from the molasses. Looks much better. Worked fine.

But how do you get it to shine? It didn't shine. TIA

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 5:12 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I used a beaten egg yolk (no white) mixed with about a Tablespoon or so of molasses as a bread wash or glaze. Yes, I got a brown color, from the molasses. Looks much better. Worked fine.

I think davka the egg white is the one that acts like shellac... I always get a shine when I use egg wash: yolk with white and maybe some water if needed.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 5:14 am
Tamiri wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:

I think davka the egg white is the one that acts like shellac... I always get a shine when I use egg wash: yolk with white and maybe some water if needed.
I found this on google: In keeping with the festive theme, we thought we would feature the good old egg as our glue for March. The egg is a protein that works well as an adhesive. Both the yolk and the whites have bonding properties, but we recommend "sticking" to the whites only because they are clear and will not stain what you are gluing. Egg whites have been used as an adhesive throughout history. Ancient Egyptians used egg whites to adhere gold leaf, and it is believed that native north American Indians also used eggs as an adhesive in building canoes. Egg whites, known as albumin, is waterproof once it has dried. In contact with air, it takes very little time to set up. It is non-toxic and ideal for using with food. Egg whites can also be used as a sealer or shellac because it does leave a very shiny surface once it has dried. On it's own it isn't a very good gap filler, but we recommend adding icing sugar if you wish to increase the viscosity. Remember to keep the glue in the fridge if you are planning to eat what you have glued together.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 8:10 am
http://www.thekosherchannel.co......html

Not sure if it fully fits your description - I've never made challah like that - but this is one of the better recipes I have tried. When I make Challah on Friday, it tastes great Friday night, but the next morning it's not as good. Freezing it helps, but it's never as good as the fresh that night taste.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jan 11 2013, 9:41 am
Tamiri wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Thanks! Now I don't have to separate the egg.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 8:00 am
busydev wrote:
5lb + 2c flour (approx 16c)
1c oil
1.5 c sugar
2 heaping T salt
6c warm water
6 scant T dry yeast

Dissolve yeast in water. sprinkle a little sugar. Wait 5 minutes
Add remaining ingredients and mix till smooth.
cover w/ saran wrap for 1 hr.
divide and shape.
let rise 20 more min
bake at 375 for 30 min.

We find this recipe to be absolutely delicious and I recently had 2 people ask me for the recipe. both were shocked that it was a water challa. I usually make 1/4 recipe every few weeks (we keep the challos small when its just dh, ds and me) and I use 4.5-5 c of flour otherwise its to sticky so its really more then 16 c flour for a full recipe.

Its usually gone in minutes.

I made the 1/4 version of this recipe (approx. 4 cups of flour, etc.) and it came out AMAZING. Best water challah I ever tasted -- thank you, busydev!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads