Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do they have to go in a carseat?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

jewgal84

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 2:46 pm
Why don't the mothers who don't know what to do with car-seats, ie: once out of public transportation, get a Snap 'n Go's...

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 2:52 pm
Yup, thats what I did. DH and I were in the city with our baby, realized we were in the wrong place, hopped into a cab, stowed the Snap N Go in the trunk, installed the car seat and off we went!
However, once you are past the infant seat stage, you really are sort of stuck.

jewgal84

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 2:55 pm
DesignMommy wrote:
I would never put my child, or any child in my car unless they were buckled into the appropriate car seat. My 18 month old son is still rear facing because he is not yet 20 lbs, and my 5 year old daughter sits in a britax. This video on youtube illustrated the importance of carseats- but warning, it is very sad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

OMG, I just watched it, so sad!!

And to think the parents were being safe, with carseats...

Hashem yerachem, may we never be put into such situations...

shininglight

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 3:05 pm
yoyosma is right - there's not much to do for older children ... they don't fit in snap n' go's!

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 4:05 pm
Quote:
But I also feel that people overreact about car seats. I read on a forum once how a mother realized she left the restraint open, pulled over and buckled her child. She couldn't continue driving because she was so shaken. But is it that big a deal as to have a panic attack? I can bet that she leaves kitchen drawers open at home where her kid can reach for a knife- or the bathroom where he can drown in the toilet.

I don't drive so I have no issue and yes when we are in a car we are all seatbelted, carseated and squished b"h Very Happy

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 4:31 pm
that video was heart wrenching - I'm balling for this little boy that I did not know. protect your kids - that's the only tool we have - the rest is up to HASHEM.

Boys"R"Us

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 4:46 pm
There is also a carseat that turns into a stroller.

http://www.nextag.com/Sit-n-St.....-html

But this would only help if you only have one child with you.

ceo

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 4:49 pm
shininglight wrote:
yoyosma is right - there's not much to do for older children ... they don't fit in snap n' go's!

no, there is that tote and go thingy. you can google it, I think they sell it at one step ahead.

melalyse

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 5:29 pm
I am going to Israel in May and I will shlep My Britax with me all day long as I get in and out of cabs. There is no way that I would put my 14 month old in a car without a car seat. I actually bought something called gogo babyz which is a set of wheels with a handle that attaches to a carseat but has to be removed everytime it goes in the car.

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 10:20 pm
melalyse wrote:
I am going to Israel in May and I will shlep My Britax with me all day long as I get in and out of cabs. There is no way that I would put my 14 month old in a car without a car seat. I actually bought something called gogo babyz which is a set of wheels with a handle that attaches to a carseat but has to be removed everytime it goes in the car.
That's fine...you're PLANNING on taking cabs. I never plan on taking cabs...I can't afford them. Every so often something happens (missed the last bus Friday before Shabbat because the first bus got stuck in traffic) that's totally beyond my control and I get stuck taking a cab. Then what? I liked the idea of the tote 'n go, but like I said before, a lot of the reviews were not so positive.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 8:50 am
5boysMom wrote:
There is also a carseat that turns into a stroller.

http://www.nextag.com/Sit-n-St.....-html

But this would only help if you only have one child with you.

Yes, I knew there was something for a baby who didn't fit into a snap and go anymore. My brother and SIL took their baby on a vacation to Israel with that.
There are options.

ChavieK

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 9:36 am
I just went to Israel with my 19 month old. He is only 21 lbs so he is still rear facing. His infant carseat goes up 30 lbs. He doesn't like the snap & go b/c he wants to sit up in reg stoller. We played with this until we found what worked. If the handle to the car seat was in the halfway position, we were able to hang it on the handles of the stroller(inglesina-trip). The seat facing the back of the stroller. The diaper bag then hung behind the carseat. When we took the baby out the stroller would fall down. But it worked for us. Had carseat & stroller every where we went. I will tell you that somedays we rented a car & it was such a pleasure not to have to schlep all that. Those were the days when a taxi would have come out costing more than the car.

melalyse

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:18 am
I thought that forward facing is at 20 lbs?

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:21 am
I thought it was at a year?

ChavieK

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:26 am
It's at least 1 year AND 20 lbs. However if you read the research it's much better until at least 18 mo. The kids don't really like it by that age. Mine was fighting it, when we would put him in he tried to turn around.We purposly didn't turn him around b/c we were going to Israel & infant seat was so much easier.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:15 pm
Well - if they go up to 80 lbs now - I may have to get one for my 19 yr old

DesignMommy

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:43 pm
greenfire wrote:
Well - if they go up to 80 lbs now - I may have to get one for my 19 yr old

LOL! I have a good friend who is K"H a mother of 3 and I doubt she weights more than that (she is very small and short as well)!
It is 80 lbs or 8 years of age, I think.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:26 pm
http://www.babyage.com/product.....11732

Here is the link to the portable one I have. It doesn't seem too safe to me, but better than nothing. They claim it is as safe as a regular car seat. But we don't own a car, so it is pointless for me to have a thousand different car seats/boosters for the once-in-three-months occasion that we go in a car.

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:48 am
That is such a sad video. Terrible. & anyone notice the name? Kyle David Miller? nebuch.

Now I'm in a dillema- Should I really get rid of the booster seat & buy the Britax?

cindy324

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:18 am
There others with the same features as the Britax, you just gotta shop around. I don't see why only a ridiculously expensive brand can do a good enough job. The Britax is like the carseat equivalent of the Bugaboo stroller, IMO Rolling Eyes
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics