Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6-month old surgery (hypospadias)
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 6:57 pm
My son has hypospadias (His urethra is not in the right location). He's having the surgery in 6 weeks, at about 6.5 months. Any tips from people who have BTDT? Also I'd like some reassurance for putting such a young kid under the knife for a somewhat "elective" surgery...

Also, curious what other people did RE: bris... I wonder if there were other options than what we did (the mohel did a half-bris, which the doctor will complete during the operation)

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:44 pm
I've had that surgery with one of my boys too, but had the surgery done after the bris when he was a few months old, then later on when he was like 2 another surgery

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:59 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rgery

Had a bris but they left a little extra on for surgeon to use. Better than first dr who said no bris at all.

A hard part was pre surgery not feeding baby!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
http://imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209210&highlight=baby+surgery

Had a bris but they left a little extra on for surgeon to use. Better than first dr who said no bris at all.

A hard part was pre surgery not feeding baby!

OP here.
This is what we're doing; I was just wondering if there was any other way?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 11:58 am
My son also had the surgery at 6 months old. The mohel at his bris left a bit of skin on for the surgery. He went in in the for surgery in the morning and we left in the afternoon. B'H no complications and he didnt even need any pain medications, he was up and fine that night.Everyone is different but it is a straight forward procedure and it should all be fine. Now he is 13 yrs. old and we long forgot about it.
Yes the hardest part was not feeding him pre surgery.

Hatzlocha

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 1:01 pm
My son had that surgery when he was about 9 months old. We were told we could not do any form of a bris until the actual surgery. There was a Shomer Shabbos resident who performed the surgery and our Mohel was able to be in the room at the time of the surgery to oversee that it was done in accordance with halacha. The most incredible part of the experience for me was seeing how my son recuperated. We were given very strong pain killers to treat his pain for the next couple of days. The night after the surgery, when we brought him home, we gave him the pain killers. By the next morning, he was in no visible pain, he didn't even need tylenol. B"H! Little kids are amazing!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
My son also had the surgery at 6 months old. The mohel at his bris left a bit of skin on for the surgery. He went in in the for surgery in the morning and we left in the afternoon. B'H no complications and he didnt even need any pain medications, he was up and fine that night.Everyone is different but it is a straight forward procedure and it should all be fine. Now he is 13 yrs. old and we long forgot about it.

Hatzlocha

Did you tell your son about it when he was old enough to understand?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Hatzlocha

OP here.
I was wondering about this, actually. My rav said not to tell people about it, because it sounds something that might affect fertility and you don't want people wondering about that when it comes to shidduchim (I.e. it has no affect on fertility whatsoever, but "people talk")... I figured that we would ask the rav if we should tell our son.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 12:24 pm
My son had exactly this surgery 2 months ago. BH everything worked out very fine. Some tips I'd like to give you is try to get doctor to book you a slot in operating room first thing in the morning. We had an appt for 8:30 so by 6:30 we had to be in hospital. As far as feeding baby ( our son was 10 months old) until 4 hours before breastmilk was allowed and until two hours before juice and water, our son didn't need anything he was fine. My son was fine until the anesthesia wore off and then started shrieking . I gave him Tylenol / Motrin for 48 hours and he was perfect. Please be aware that he will be exhausted and sleep a lot. Hatzlacha rabba and Refuah shleima.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 1:28 pm
Anyone did this in Chicago, especially in Lurie Children's /Children's Memorial?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 4:58 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Hatzlocha

OP here.
I was wondering about this, actually. My rav said not to tell people about it, because it sounds something that might affect fertility and you don't want people wondering about that when it comes to shidduchim (I.e. it has no affect on fertility whatsoever, but "people talk")... I figured that we would ask the rav if we should tell our son.

I dont remember what the rav told us it was a long time ago but we did tell my son a few months ago that he had surgery but didnt really go into why. We just told him he gad a problem with urinating and it was all taken care of and not a problem anymore.

annasday7

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:28 pm
Hi everyone. Can anyone please suggest a good pediatric urologist who repaired your sons' hypospadias and who was your Rav with whom you consulted?Tia!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 6:06 pm
I'm bumping this up...I had a baby yesterday and my baby was diagnosed with hypospadias. I'm so nervous not sure if he can have a bris before surgery..I'm soooo nervous about surgery...

is there anyone that had a baby with hypospadias and didn't need surgery?

also how normal is it not have a bris for months??

I'm so nervous.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 6:22 pm
Talk to a pediatric urologist, OB's and nurses don't know anything about this. They freaked me out too, said we won't be able to make a bris for months, but then we got the urologist to take a look, and he said it was just a little off center and we could have the bris on time (bris ended up a week late for other reasons). It did not need to be corrected.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 7:43 pm
We had a baby a couple of months ago with hypospadius. We took the baby to the pediatrician before the bris, as instructed by the pediatrician in the hospital. He said that the hole is only a little off and doesn't need to be corrected Baruch Hashem. It seems like in the Non Jewish world almost everyone corrects it for cosmetic reasons not nessisarily medical.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
We had a baby a couple of months ago with hypospadius. We took the baby to the pediatrician before the bris, as instructed by the pediatrician in the hospital. He said that the hole is only a little off and doesn't need to be corrected Baruch Hashem. It seems like in the Non Jewish world almost everyone corrects it for cosmetic reasons not nessisarily medical.

We had the same experience. Hospital told us there was no way we could do a bris on time. Took him to a urologist who said all was fine and he didn't need surgery at all.

Chavas

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 11:40 pm
My son is 22 and had this surgery. His bris was on time.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:09 am
thank you everyone for your replies, you all calmed me down. I was imagining waiting months to a year to have a bris, as that's what the doctor in the hospital said...

a mohel looked at it and said should be ok but need to see a urologist , I live oot and we're trying to get in to a doctor, not so easy.. hope it works out so nerve wracking

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 8:07 am
Bumping this up.
Was told our baby has this condition as well as a chordee. It is severe and he will need surgery when he is older. Also because there is so little foreskin, the surgeon will need to do the bris. We had a top mohel come see to confirm what the hospital said. It is so painful. It is our oldest child born after real difficulties. I'm mortified at what I'll have to tell people. My husband is so broken at the thought that after all he's been through he will not be able to give his child a Jewish bris, make the brachos... I'm looking for chizzuk....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:52 am
Ask the mohel, we were told, to make the bris we just needed to draw blood as my son needed every inch of skin for surgery. So the mohel came to my house and did a little pinprick and named the baby and drank l’chaim. We didn’t invite anyone. If close parents want to be part of it and you want them part of it they can join as well. Ask a Sheila for yourself, we only used an older experienced person as we felt comfortable he’d done this already several times. No need to tell Pple. It will be fine. We just said my son needed surgery for a different more common reason and since he’s already in operating room under anesthesia they will do bris there. So that got people off our back about when we’re doing the bris.
Wish you Hatzlocha for a successful procedure.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics